UEFA Europa League

have leverkusen even had a decent shot on goal,as in 1 the keeper had to make a good save.

I don’t think so. Atalanta have been great, and Leverkusen very underwhelming.

2 Likes

Don’t know what’s Leverkusen’s fitness right now, but that team selection was weird in the first place.

Anyway, love it when Atalantas of this world keep surprising and being a real pain in the arse (unfortunally, literally for us also).

2 Likes

Gasperini for Utd. He has the United DNA

Atalanta done to Xabi what they did to Klopp.
He didn’t manage to pick our lot up, so I suspect Xabi has a task on his hands.

1 Like

The Cup final is against Kaiserslautern. They almost got relegated from 2. Bundesliga. But that’s an iconic German club - famous for getting promoted to the Bundesliga in 1997 and winning the league the season after.

Think this might get tricky for Leverkusen after tonight.

3 Likes

Yer a feckin jinx!

1 Like

Atalanta under Gasperini:

This season, they could be 5th/4th/3rd.

Lost in the Coppa final against Juventus.

Won the EL.

They deserve massive respect.

9 Likes

I’d rather have an invincible season than a EL trophy tbh.

I’d always take one more trophy.

5 Likes

US coverage sticking in the dagger…“more goals in one final today than he had in 3 seasons for Everton”

2 Likes

They won the League by 17 points. I’m sure Xabi would rather change 6 leagues wins into losses if that would have guaranteed him the win tonight.

Unlike the League Cup, the Conference League or the community shield the Europa League is still an iconic trophy.

2 Likes

I doubt it, he is a winner.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s seen that way by most fans unless you’ve been in it for a couple of seasons at least.Maybe it’s different in Germany?

I don’t get the disrespect for the EL/UEFA Cup from some fans.
It’s the second most prestigious trophy in European club football and just as worth winning as the FA Cup or any domestic cup.
I have a lot of good memories of the competition over the years and was heartbroken that we went out so tamely this season.

11 Likes

Going unbeaten is a fairly timeless accomplishment though.

Still worth significantly more than the FA or any other domestic cup. The sticking point is that because the CL is so bloated, certain clubs have fan bases who never expect to be in the UEFA Cup and therefore devalue it.

1 Like

I’m a bit behind…can’t seem to find this listed anywhere. Another match after Bundesliga concluded?

If you gave me a Europa League win and a season with one loss and the title I’d take the one loss the Europa League and the title.

Baffling you’d choose anything else.

2 Likes

I guess I wasn’t really clear what I meant. I’d rather win the league undefeated but miss out on the EL than only win the EL.

Probably irrational of me, but it’s a unique accomplishment.

2 Likes