UEFA Nations League

I think the system is the cause. Why are one of the top 4/5 teams in the world playing two ball winners infront of a back 5? The 3 ball playing centre half’s is just a thing to cope with the lack of pace at the back shown by the Walker addition (guaranteed he will cost 2+ goals at this World Cup)

We didn’t play a back 5 today. We played a now orthodox 4-3-3. So much of what Southgate has done in his time in charge is to accommodate a lack of good CBs (and having NO LBs) and today shows exactly why he was not wrong to do that.

2 Likes

Played 4 at the back and Philips as the only holding player today.

I’ve had a Southgate shocker :sob::sob:

F**k it I’ll die on this hill. Still thing the 5-2-3 is the issue but then again after tonight maybe it’s not

The Southgate hate is ridiculous, some people have very short memories. He’s no master tactician, but he’s very good at creating a culture. I’ve got no desire to go back to pre Southgate days.

3 Likes

Perhaps your premise is flawed.

England is a classic flat-track bully side that runs up the FIFA rankings garnering soft points in UEFA’s qualification contests, then folds. That’s not Southgate’s fault, although he certainly hasn’t fixed it.

1 Like

He’s done very well in bringing the love back to the national team. I’m happy in hearing he has gone to a 433 but hope he can’t start getting the better players on the pitch soon. I’m not sure if he knows his best team yet and who he can trust on current form.

Maybe but I think Englands best 11 are up there regardless of nation rankings

He hinted strongly in his interview that he’s been trying players out but that hasn’t worked so will go back to the old faithful. Unfortunately that does prob mean continue to rely on Maguire, Pickford, Kane etc. But I can’t argue with the results they’ve had in tournaments. If Kane’s form doesn’t pick up I wonder if he’ll be forced into trying something different, would love to see the Man City trio start together up front. But I doubt that will happen.

1 Like

Why was Reece James at left back? Watching highlights atm

I’m happy with Kane. Think he’s one of the best around and has a good record with England. Pickford while being dodgy af, does have a good game in him for England and Ramsdale doesn’t convince me. Maguire for his own sake needs to get his England form back, if he does I’ll have him starting.

1 Like

The reason I was asking was the lack of quality in midfield was Englands undoing the same with upfront boy am I glad we didn’t go for Saka he has got speed but not much else. Southgate insisted on shoehorning the chelsea RB in the team he wasn’t very good. The other thing he should change is the only goal scorer in the team Kane should play further forward. Bellingham played well but 100m player he isn’t. Southgate has a classy CH tons better than slabhead or stones but he keeps ignoring him Gomez. For the WC he should reinstate Hendo as captain as well.

Really? Just look at the spine. Questionable keeping, a central defence that gets less with 3 centrebacks than most of the top 20 get from 2, and a central midfield that at its best can contest possession but has no real attacking drive. Kane is a top level talent, granted. But if you were building a team, your top priorities would be to solidify the centre, for a good 75 yards.

FFS, Stones and Guehi, then Maguire?

1 Like

He’s routinely played RBs there due to the lack of left footed options with Chilwell’s long term absence of Shaw’s form and belly.

1 Like

I think GK and CB are only major weak-points imo

France. Fullback maybe a weak point.

Germany. Defence a tad suspect.

Spain. Defence not great and not a brilliant striker or front line.

Brazil. Fullbacks aren’t all that imo.

Argentina. Defence not great.

Italy. Fairly well balanced but not massive stand out quality imo.

Like these teams are set up better set up like Germany play a 352 helping the centre backs who aren’t great

Ah so they are going get back in form for the period of when the qualifiers happened.

1 Like

But everyone of those can control a game for periods against a top side. England just can’t, which was the heart of the problem today. I think internationally, we are seeing a bit of an ebb in talent - none of the top teams really impress me right now, all have some flaws as you note.

It baffles me that you would think the central midfield is not a worse problem than England’s mediocre keepers (which compounds the central midfield problem because distribution is just plain awful). It is astonishing that at his age, a midfielder for a side that nearly got relegated is getting anywhere near a cap late in the World Cup cycle.

2 Likes

I think Pickford is as close as any England player in terms of getting into a world 11…

Phillips shouldn’t be near the team even with his injury causing little game time. I think Rice, Hendo and Jude/Grealish/Foden/Mount is a fair midfield personally.