UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

But @Livvy’s post above has them admitting that it IS working as intended.

I just get the feeling that there’s some massive backtracking going on.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Judging by the two pages though, it does seem to the uninformed reader that they are intending to achieve equivalence at least.

Ha. That’s the language used by Best for Britain though. Aligning NI more closely with the EU (and away from the UK mainland) may be considered as “working” by them but that depends upon which side of the fence you’re on.

I don’t think that either side would say that a consequence of threatening the Union is indicative of it “working” as intended though. You could argue whether it is truly doing this but it is a shared objective that this does not happen.

I’m honestly still struggling with this but I take your points on board. A matter of which side you’re on I guess.

Regardless of who posted the video, Frost is on there stating that trade has adjusted and moved towards the Republic of Ireland in lieu of going through the UK. Surely that must have been expected and I just get the feeling that because the UK mainland has been effectively sold down the river we want our ball back.

No matter what side you’re on it still sounds like an almighty screw up to me and people (DUP) are basically sulking despite signing up for it. To me this “threat to the union” is 100% of our own making.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. There’s an Eddie Izzard sketch, hang on……

Substitute murder for fraud, you get the idea.

Nobody watches Ocean’s 11 (sorry, let me re-phrase) I don’t think many people watch Ocean’s 11 and think that it’s a reprehensible story of thieves. Most would consider them to be cool guys knocking down the rich. I love Pratchett as you might have noticed:

“And then Jack chopped down what was the world’s last beanstalk, adding murder and ecological terrorism to the theft, enticement, and trespass charges already mentioned, and all the giant’s children didn’t have a daddy anymore. But he got away with it and lived happily ever after, without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done…which proves that you can be excused for just about anything if you are a hero, because no one asks inconvenient questions.”

Terry Pratchett

2 Likes

Mention of Jack and the beanstalk recalls a shared incredulity with @Mascot that it’s referenced as a cautionary tale.

Jack was totally vindicated for swapping the cow for magic beans.

11 weeks working in a vineyard owned by Jacob’s Creek outside a little town called Mildura, VIC. it was the worst job I ever had, but taught me some valuable life lessons. the spiders. 40’C in the shade. flies trying to crawl up your nose.

Work smarter, not harder.

1 Like

We used to go camping up that way a lot, along the Murray River.

and the huntsman that prowled the vineyards, hiding under the leaves of the vines we were training onto the wires. that would jump on you when you got too close. shudder

But wasn’t Jack’s success only possible thanks to freedom of movement and the fact that he could secure the golden goose without any tariffs? :thinking: :wink:

I know it well. I worked in the Irish pub on Fri-Sun nights. made a lot of money down there working in bars. it paid really well.

Big buggers they are as well.

I also remember the 3 pronged thorn thingies that can only be closely described as Lego. If it’s there, you will stand on it. Buggers would go through your flip flops too.

I was only little, no pubs for me. We used to go up to Lake Bonney, Bermera a lot as well.

Crikey just looking at Google Maps of it now. It 's been really developed to what it was when we used to go there.

https://theanfieldnoise.com/t/great-southern-land

3 Likes

Aren’t Brits even a little bit perturbed about their country being the money launderers for the world?

Or, Do the Brits realize that those who create the loopholes are the ones using them?

1 Like

I wonder to what extent this information has been uncovered using GreyList Trace?

As for the UK’s role. Not sure how I feel about it. It’s always been known as the global financial services behemoth, hasn’t it? Haven’t really reflected on it but will give it some thought.

What was the fall out with Swiss banks and Nazi loot? Is that an equivalent comparison? Don’t know.

Interesting to see it attributed to the fact that the UK doesn’t have a written constitution that can be found in one single document. I don’t buy that at all.

Lots of Russian oligarchs like living in London for some reason. Interesting links to the Conservatives as well. Conservatives also backed by certain media outlets.

getting a bit smokey round here but I cant say one way or another.

2 Likes

It’s just a new way to ensure the old adage still applies.

“…this vast empire on which the sun never sets, and whose bounds nature has not yet ascertained.”