UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Not sure where to post this so I’ll do it here…

Just saw on the news that around 6% of adults with learning disabilities in England are in paid employment.

Seems to be pretty close to the mark…

WTAF!!! 6%!!!

Jesus H…I feel sick.

1 Like

Some will have you believe they are lazy.

In the same way that being unemployed in general is considered shameful.

That is 6% that are known to their local authority. The overall figure is thought to be 17%.

• 6% of adults with a learning disability known to their local authority in England are in paid work (NHS Digital 2018)
  • 17% of all adults with a learning disability in England are in paid work (Emerson and Hatton 2008)

Also, not sure how Scotland would feel as being demarcated as part of England on the infographics :rofl:

1 Like

I also feel disgusted in myself for having no idea.

Some bloke on my telly saying that he just wants to work and work hard.

FMD…what is it we really value??

1 Like

Did you see the guy challenging Rees Mogg? Incredibly moving.

Here we are

2 Likes

I saw the thumbnail. Will check it out.

Edit…fucking hell…I’m speechless.

Logging off for the night.

2 Likes

The EU wasn’t so much as clamping down, just trying to persaud the UK to move toward the ‘general’ consensus. Cameron had agreed in principle to making some moves in that direction. I think this influenced a lot of rich to get behind BREXIT and hence in the end cause the ‘unexpected’. It must be pointed out though that the EU wouldn’t have been able to inforce anything on the UK over this.
Cameron’s alighnment imo obviously put him in very bad posture with much of his party and party ‘sponsors’ he really did have to go due to that.

At least that was my understanding from the French press reports I read at the time. Hollande was very pleased to have got Cameron to agree to make some changes.

EDIT: Sorry got carried away, didn’t read the question correctly, I haven’t a clue about tax haven status. I went off on financial practices where the UK is much more liberal than for example France. There was some agreement on tightening up UK banking.
UK poses peoblems for/to the EU as the financial practices are more liberal and then linking what goes on in London through the channel islands and on to the Cayman Islands was what was getting on Hollandes titties.
Look at what French companies invested in the UK (example Orange) then sold without anything coming back to France. Sort of dissappearing probably not even in the UK now but on an Island safely tucked in a bank.

1 Like

Trudeau is a piece of shit. Declares a stat holiday for “national day of reconciliation” and instead of spending it trying to actually mend relationships with the aboriginal community, he goes fucking surfing at Tofino. stupid cunt.

I think we’re far worse than that, but a lot of it is brushed under the rug or not reported to the masses by the media.

how many huge mining conglomerates have run rampant in the backcountry areas, leaving huge environmental issues in their wake without any government oversight. how many political leaders are accepting huge private contracts once their leave office, to work for companies that contributed to their campaigns and in return were handed lucrative goverment contracts.

this is one of my favorites, locally:

what do you mean, your government didn’t report it, Christy. YOU’RE their leader!

She now works for a law firm in Vancouver that specializes in international trade with Asia.

1 Like

Frankly, I doubt this had anything to do with it. On the contrary, stay within the EU and the likelihood is that the EU Commission would look after them.

Wikipedia:

On 27 March 2019, the European Parliament voted by 505 in favour to 63 against of accepting a new report that likened Luxembourg, Malta, Ireland and the Netherlands, and Cyprus to “display[ing] traits of a tax haven and facilitate aggressive tax planning”.[5][6] However, despite this vote, the EU Commission is not obliged to include these EU jurisdictions on the blacklist.

The 12 countries on the EU blacklist were:

American Samoa, Anguilla, Dominica, Fiji, Guam, Palau, Panama, Samoa, Seychelles, Trinidad and Tobago, US Virgin Islands, Vanuatu

But following a meeting yesterday, Anguilla, Dominica and Seychelles were removed leaving only 9. A move members of the EU Parliament described as “grotesque”.

“The EU is shutting its eyes to real tax havens while considering blacklisting poor countries who do not sign up to the imminent global tax agreement,” Oxfam’s EU tax expert, Chiara Putaturo, said. “Today’s decision to delist Anguilla, the only remaining jurisdiction with a 0% tax rate, and the Seychelles, which are at the heart of the latest tax scandal, renders the EU’s blacklist a joke"

This year, Oxfam’s analysis finds that the EU tax havens list continues to fail in effectively identifying the countries which use harmful tax practices and help the richest dodge their tax bills. The list still gives a pass to all EU countries by not evaluating their tax practices. It also does not capture some of the world’s worst tax havens as it does not automatically blacklist zero or low tax rate jurisdictions.

As a result, Oxfam’s 2021 analysis finds that:

• Only two out of 13 countries with a zero percent corporate tax rate are blacklisted.

• Only one out of 18 countries with low corporate tax rates (<12.5%) are blacklisted.

• In 2019, five EU member states - Cyprus, Ireland, Luxembourg, Malta and the Netherlands – continued to have economic indicators typical of tax havens (e.g. high levels of Foreign Direct Investment, intellectual property payments, interests, dividends).

• In 2019, Luxembourg had levels of Foreign Direct Investments coming in and out of the country 67 to 100 times bigger than its economic weight (GDP). Due to its dodgy tax practices, the country found itself at the centre of the recent #OpenLux investigation.

“The EU must look at what is happening in its own backyard – European countries are acting as tax havens. It is time the EU cleans up its act and end this looting of public resources. Letting big corporations pay little to no tax at the expense of ordinary people, especially during these hard times, is scandalous. The EU needs to broaden the definition of harmful tax practices, create a strong set of indicators and properly screen EU countries.”

Since voting to leave the EU, the UK has gone further than the EU in countering money laundering and tax avoidance and, unlike the EU, has not shied away from specifically targeting its associated nations.

1 Like

there’s almost ZERO incentive for politicians to actually fix the problem of tax havens, because where would they store all their ill-gotten gains? :face_with_monocle:

It feels like the “checks and balances” speech from Shooter, over and over again.

1 Like

It’s heartbreaking.

2 Likes

The UK’s adherence to international norms, crucially the Basel framework, is not in doubt. In fact, this adherence to international norms is now enshrined in UK law, including the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement. The extensive engagement of UK banks in international markets and what will in future become a more agile style of UK regulation, nevertheless call for continued close coordination between EU and UK regulators and supervisors.

Strict rules

While still within the EU, the UK built a reputation for strict regulation and supervision, often ‘gold-plating’ EU standards. The UK’s ring-fencing of bank retail units, for instance, is unique in Europe. Ring-fencing has reduced systemic risks and improved the options for resolving failing banks. In some areas the UK insisted on distinct rules for the local financial market (for instance relating to the compensation of senior banking executives), though rules on the safety and soundness of banks and investment firms were as strict as in the EU, if not more so. Well before the end of the Brexit transition period, all key elements of EU financial regulation, including the latest elements of the Basel III framework, were ‘on-shored’ into UK law. The UK hence ended the transition period in December 2020 with its banking regulation closely aligned with that of the EU.

https://www.bruegel.org/2021/07/banks-post-brexit-regulatory-divergence-or-parallel-tracks/

That’s a stress testing mechanism. It doesn’t regulate what banks can practice from what I can gather.
I think that saying the UK financial practices are more liberal than for example France is given then again those of the USA are even more liberal.
I’m far from an expert but I do know there’s a lot of disgusting shit goes on with banks. Just take the old 3 in France absolutely monsterous behaviour always delving into the pooled saftey net money. Just look at the shit Paribas was doing eventually being forced to amalgamate with LCL.

I bet you wouldn’t criticise anything that the UK financial sector does even if yopu knew about it, now would you?

Sure I would, and have. LIBOR for example, bankers bonuses etc.

1 Like

Ummm

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmfaff/932/93204.htm

1 Like

Yep, hence the government has brought in legislation to address it.

Sorry, I rather assumed we were talking about the current situation.

1 Like

No problem, I’ve been struggling to keep up with the volume of stuff you posted that I should have read.

1 Like
2 Likes

back to Lord Frost now then. Your move but the EU in no hurry. Not sure how you can find solutions within the NI Protocol without amending it though.