UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

What happened at Fukushima?

Neither of us or your uncle is a nuclear site designer but I can tell you now that excavating a 5 acre site 50m down in rock, whil controlling water on a coastline is not feasible. It also has operational implications.

Then there is the engineering aspect of concrete fill. Concrete pressures are massive and increase with depth. It also generates massive amounts of heat which causes early thermal cracking. There is also the question surrounding how you manage joints etc.

Also you canā€™t backfill a building that is full of equipment, pipework, services, cables. It all has to be removed first and that is where the cost is.

Lastly how do you bury a plant that is already above ground? The reality is that isnā€™t actually all above ground. Itā€™s already significantly below ground.

Lastly current regulations do not allow you to leave radioactive sites where they are.

I say this as I look at a reactor building from my office window.

I thought this was fairly interesting. It compares countriesā€™ energy consumption taking into account both domestic consumption and consumer consumption, ie, how much energy goes into the production and transportation of goods that the country imports.

The UK fares fairly badly by way of proportion, consumer consumption of energy being approximately 1/4 higher than domestic consumption.

However, when you delve into the figures that is only because our domestic consumption is so relatively low. In fact, both our domestic consumption and consumer consumption of energy, per person, is one of the lowest in Europe.

So, for example, per person in the UK we consume 82 megawatts of energy per year. 36 of this is domestic consumption and 46 is consumer consumption (ie, imported energy costs) [2020 figures].

These are the energy costs of other large European nations ranked in order of total energy consumption per person per year.

Germany: 111 MW per year (52 domestic, 59 consumer)
France: 100 MW per year (46 domestic, 54 consumer)
UK: 82 MW per year (36 domestic, 46 consumer)
Italy: 72 MW per year (33 domestic, 39 consumer)
Spain: 67 MW per year (33 domestic, 34 consumer)

Those in developed countries definitely need to be reducing their energy consumption and making what energy they do consume greener.

Other countries of interest:

USA: 184 MW per year (87 domestic, 97 consumer)
Canada: 175 MW per year (93 domestic, 82 consumer)
Ireland: 172 MW per year (73 domestic, 99 consumer)
Norway: 154 MW per year (76 domestic, 78 consumer)
Netherlands: 146 MW per year (71 domestic, 75 consumer)
Australia: 112 MW per year (57 domestic, 55 consumer)
Russia: 107 MW per year (62 domestic, 45 consumer)
Japan: 105 MW per year (53 domestic, 52 consumer)
Denmark: 105 MW per year (46 domestic, 59 consumer)
Switzerland: 85 MW per year (32 domestic, 53 consumer)
Poland: 66 MW per year (33 domestic, 33 consumer)
China: 58 MW per year (30 domestic, 28 consumer)
South Africa: 54 MW per year (32 domestic, 22 consumer)
Brazil: 28 MW per year (14 domestic, 14 consumer)
India: 22 MW per year (11 domestic, 11 consumer)

*figures subject to rounding errors

Change since 2000. Countries in red, increased energy consumption per capita. Countries in green, decreased energy consumption per capita. Black font, no significant (+/-7%) change.

2 Likes

Is this a reflection of standard of living?

Partly, Iā€™m sure. Also climate. Countries with longer harsher winters will presumably consume more energy per capita. There are bound to be loads of other factors as well.

1 Like

Pipe in the water, design in the concrete heating and expansion in the first place and site it at the bottom of a huge pit. Put it in the coffin first, simple. Well, anything but simple but better than what weā€™re currently doing.

See comment on digging that hole above.

To my knowledge thereā€™s not a single plant in the world designed that way so itā€™s safe to assume there are pretty fundamental reasons why, and it still doesnā€™t get round removing all the bits inside first.

Maybe nobody ever thought of it. What ACTUALLY needs removing if itā€™s being sealed? OK you might want to drain the ponds. Ah, you canā€™t because and because and because etc. Million tonnes of rock, job done.

Erā€¦ No.

1 Like

I will respond to your subsequent goal-shifting posts in due course but just to note that the comparable figures would be (as at 17 March 2021):

Germany spend on covid tests: Ā£834 million (for 46,252,735 tests) (ā‚¬21 per test)
UK spend on covid tests: Ā£774 million (for 96,695,801 tests) (Ā£8 per test)
*UK dashboard indicates we had done 107,584,947 tests as at 17 March which would put the UK spend on tests at just under Ā£861 million at that date.

Thought you might need an illustration to make your point

photo hosting

3 Likes

Look forward to it

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5802/cmselect/cmpubacc/182/report.html

And your words before you delete/spin them-

:joy:

I havenā€™t deleted posts as youā€™ve suggested but all right.

I presume youā€™ve read the full report, right - not just the headline? You know - like you read the full fact article and then made the exact mistake of comparing two incomparable figures that the full fact article warned of.

It would be rather unfortunate if you were shown to have deliberately misrepresented the situation again, wouldnā€™t it?

1 Like
1 Like

This should bring him down and rightly so.

1 Like

It wonā€™t bring him down though. Every independent report is ignored, all the findings ignored, and they just carry on as they are patting their buddies on the back for a job well done.

Whatā€™s clear is that BoJoā€™s time is coming to an end as leader - they canā€™t be confident of winning the next election with him in charge.

Even when heā€™s gone, it wont change anything anyway - heā€™s only the front man to it all.

2 Likes

Worse part is though that some pretend this is a Tory problem only, you can guarantee that if labour were in charge there would be just as many stories of them flouting the rules as they pleased, but some just want to knock the government just because they are conservatives

1 Like

Itā€™s a culture across government. Itā€™s plain that the civil service in Whitehall, not just MPs, see themselves as not rigidly bound by the very rules theyā€™ve been party to formulating for the rest of us. Dickwads.

2 Likes

I really need a job where I can drink at work as standard and nobody will bat an eyelid.

1 Like

ā€¦and, would be succeeded byā€¦

Cameron
May
Boris

doesnā€™t look encouraging

what does being in charge have to do with it?

2 Likes