UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

My take is that it is about power corrupting. It does.

fair comment. That suggests a fundamental issue exists in the way UK government / politics is set up and works

Similar to what Kopstar says , but the other point is that there are basically people who support labour , who even if the Tories did everything by the book would still look to complain about the Tories simply because they are not labour.

Both as bad as each other imo, but when the change comes the ones now complaining about the government in the most vocal ways will be the ones defending a Labour government

Canā€™t remember who posted about the pmq debate when Angela was doing the shadow leadership stand in part, but agreed with the sentiment that itā€™s taken as some sort of pisstake, where they just mildly insult ā€¦have a few jolly laughs etc ā€¦itā€™s disgusting given the fact that people are suffering with issues like rising costs on every front and yet again the mps are to receive an increase in their payā€¦seems almost every year when news comes in about families are being hit with cost of living we get the same shit, so an so MP says we should reject blah blah blah and then they all accept it whilst the rest of us are shaftedā€¦really is annoying how our system pretends to work

Come and work with me :wink:

Like or loath Cameron and May, they were both sensible, stable and statesman like (statesperson, stateswoman) etc. Borris though is a berk who represents this country as well as a damp cardboard box and as ā€œweā€ could have been prosecuted for breaching lockdown, his neck should be on the block.

Exhibit A Milord, I offer John Majorā€™s government.

I strongly disagree with that.

This is a cultural problem in the modern Conservative Party, and with Boris Johnsonā€™s government in particular.

Borisā€™ entire career has been based on the idea that the normal rules do not apply.

7 Likes

Itā€™s a red herring to start postulating possible Labour corruption.
The fact is that the UK has an entrenched Tory government which has become arrogant with power.
Only when there is a credible opposition will they be required to clean up their act.

6 Likes

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by Election 2020

Thatā€™s my point. The succeeding PM is worse than his/her predecessor, so you are likely to get someone worse (is that even possible) then BJ.

Nonsense. Johnson has been the same lying, entitled, corrupt prick for his entire life. There was plenty of evidence of this before he gained power.

Iā€™m no fan of Starmer but itā€™s pretty obvious that he would at least have have more integrity that any of the current bunch of charlatans in the cabinet

10 Likes

Give it to Priti, crime and punishment will be sorted at leastā€¦

Aye sheā€™s been playing a blinder at that so far

It might have been me.

My reasoning here is that with an 80 seat majority and the person in charge (Boris), not actually being in charge (See Brexit hardman Steve Baker and his close associates), thereā€™s bugger all anyone can do in PMQā€™s other than try to make the other guy look like a proper twat in highlighting serious flaws in proposed policy. The bigger twat you make them look the more chance you have of that being picked up externally and creating some kind of swing in the polls.

You cant get the government to change direction or policy etc. 80 seats remember.

this is where Labour have been failing at PMQā€™s IMO. itā€™s a circus and a pointless one in many respects unless you actually embrace it for what it is and go all out guns blazing and try to get them to look useless. Rayner is better than Starmer at this. Starmer is too Geoff Boycott, straight bat. Playing down the line on a green, bumpy wicket will get you no where.

For me there needs to be immediate comebacks on everything Boris says because he never answers the question because its clear that he doesnā€™t have to and will spout whatever BS thatā€™s been rehearsed. Iā€™d be correcting him on Labour policy when he gets it wrong and calling out his lies but youā€™d have to be bang on the ball to do it in that melting pot.

1 Like

Raynar did this well last week tbf.

There is an argument that opponents of the Tories would be better served by keeping Johnson in power as long as possible. Theyā€™ll probably get a bounce when heā€™s replaced

I wasnā€™t talking about particular individuals. Itā€™s beyond obvious by now that this is not just about Johnson, itā€™s about a large number of those who work in Whitehall.

1 Like

Wish he was (I do get the reference) as Boycott would rip Borris to pieces.

Starmerā€™s been a bit of a disappointment so far but this will have been an incredibly difficult time for anyone to have been Leader of the Opposition.

Tbh, it seems to be a cultural problem in England, though perhaps predominantly with those who vote Conservative? The rules not quite applying is a common complaint about English visitors virtually everywhere. Every lockdown that has occurred in Barbados has been traced to an English tourist deciding to skip out on quarantine.

7 Likes