UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

think you have that backwards…

2 Likes

I wonder why, considering that the very people who have been heading up these departments politically have also had that same attitude…

Why? He’s got an inept government led by a buffoon in a time of crisis. Surely any decent opposition would have a field day.

1 Like

Decent is doing the heavy lifting in this comment.

DUP MP Jim Shannon breaks down in the Commons as he describes how his mother in law died alone pic.twitter.com/9ZYY0sow99

— Rachel Wearmouth (@REWearmouth) January 11, 2022

I dont think its that easy given 2016 and what has happened subsequently.

Where they have been poor is highlighting and holding to account what this shower have done during the pandemic etc.

You’re walking a tightrope on the Brexit stuff but I think you could highlight the lies.

1 Like

I was referring to his entire cabinet, both by association with Johnson and their own histories

It doesn’t invalidate Lord Acton’s observation.

Wasn’t commenting on the validity of that statement, just that it is irrelevant to the current bunch of charlatans who were corrupt long before they came to power. In fact, corruption is how most of them achieved the power

That’s quite some in-depth knowledge you’re claiming of everyone in senior positions within Whitehall. Do you work there or something?

I was introduced to this brilliant word by a former girlfriend of mine who was from Swansea.

South Wales only type word, cause we’re hard as Chuck Norris up here.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t know what Labour can do.

They are banging the drum on corruption, on the rule breaking. Boris Johnson makes an absolute shitshow of himself every wednesday morning.

There is a second pillar of Government accountability, and that’s the media. I don’t buy newspapers, but I will regularly look at the front pages. There is a marked difference between the Guardian, the Mirror and the Independent and the rest. The Daily Mail have been hammering Boris personally of late, but remain pro-government. The rest forget about. Boris could piss on the cenotaph and The Telegraph would turn a blind eye.

It’s unfortunate that a large section of our media is controlled by people who have a vested interest in keeping the conservatives in power, regardless of how bad it gets.

When people say they should be doing more to hold the Government to account, it would be interesting to know what they would like them to do.

I would like Labour to do more to present a vision of what the country looks like under Labour. But again, that isn’t going to transmit to the public if the media won’t cover it.

4 Likes

I thought it was very interesting how BBC reported Djokovic.

The emphasis was all upon Australia, how unjust it was. It was an after thought the players irresponsible behaviour. The website at least was very slanted towards personal liberties.

6 Likes

For me they need to stamp on his BS. Tough to do but if that meant having an earpiece during PMQ’s to a fact checker so be it.

I agree some clarification on their stance on things would also be beneficial. For example when Boris shouts that Labour would rejoin the EU (as he did last week), correct him and say that they would work to correct the utter mess that the government has created.

Basically just don’t let him say what he wants without any reposte.

I stand corrected. They don’t know. Who was the Housing secretary before Gove?

You know I’m referring to Boris and his cabinet and are just being captious in your defence of them. I do find it strange that someone would spend so much time on a LFC forum defending the Tories/indefensible

1 Like

I don’t defend the indefensible. I already waste enough time on here correcting falsehoods to do something so inherently and pointlessly Orwellian.

That’s your best description of the current government yet

Part of the problem is the initial fund that they set up only covered buildings over 18 meters, so any building under that height has been ignored and left to the leaseholders up untill the recent ruling which forced the change

2 Likes