UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Complete waste of time from the looks of things. Insincere apology…wait for the report…report will absolve him of any responsibility, or at least not recommend any action on the PM. He’ll take the report as guidance on how to improve in the future and just carry on lying until he gets caught out again.

Headline is clickbait. Court finds that companies were not awarded contracts due to Cronyism might equally have been the conclusion.

Not as snappy though.

I think it more likely the level of idiocy he protrays distrcts everyone from what they don’t want people to know about.

I can’t remember where I read it, but someone suggested some time ago, that the powerbrokers only put him in charge because he would take the heat during the brexit completion and transition. As soon as that heat dies down, he’ll get shafted and they will bring someone else in

I know people who’ve worked with him, and apparently he is an absolute fuckwit. Known as ‘Have a go’ Gove, on account of his confidence to take on any brief or portfolio before making a clusterfuck of it. Talks a good game. Likes a bold ambition. Falls apart when it comes to the crunch. @redalways characterisation seems about right from what I’ve heard.

But this is the problem with the country being run by a cabal of public school boys. They just have a level of self confidence that borders on the psychotic. They fail and fuck up, and just carry on with barely a feather ruffled.

2 Likes

I disagree. He is at the point of being an electoral liability. The Tories won’t stand for that.

My mate is in the ministry of justice so his experience of Gove comes from there. But he’s done a good job as environment secretary, education secretary, and now housing/levelling-up.

I can’t think of a single department he hasn’t taken forward.

The problem with the idea that ‘they think the rules don’t apply’ is that in the case of Boris Johnson, and many of this Government, the rules don’t apply. They haven’t since the day there born. Their wealth and networks simply
makes problems go away.

In Johnson’s sake, he’s got fuck knows how many illegitimate children squirrelled around west London, paid off and silenced. He’s been sacked from two jobs for lying. Every time he’s been in difficulty there has always been a way to buy his way out. A favour to pull from an old school network. One of daddy’s friend to give him a leg up.

Of course he thinks the rules don’t apply to him. Why should he? They never have.

Was Major the last PM who didn’t go to Public School?

He was not a disaster as Environment secretary But I wouldn’t go as far a good job. (From my point of view anyway). I don’t know anyone who thought he was a good education secretary, and teachers fucking hated him. It two early to call anything on levelling up.

The trade off is his high general popularity compared to that of any successor. You get rid of him, you likely loose the next election and even they win, it will likely be with a vanishing margin. The only two who might stand a chance of successfully winning (50/50 either way) are possibly Truss and Patel… they seem to have the right amount of Boris’ness (in their own way) to be successful (or utterly fail). Anyone playing with a straight bat will more than likely fail.

John Major. A case of ‘you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone’?

Teachers always hate the Education Secretary - bunch of militant fuckers :joy:

Agree on levelling up but very much like what he’s doing for tenants at the moment re cladding.

Can’t see it.

They both have severe charisma problems.

He was just uninspiring and a victim of the country needing a change. New Labour felt like a breath of fresh air.

That’s always the retort, but the counter is that teachers might know a bit about education. Maybe more than a former journalist?

Oh yes, but god you’d take grey, dull competence right now over the Mr Tumble impersonator in number 10.

3 Likes

Indeed. Although the thought of Major shagging the arse out of Edwina Currie over his Downing St desk whilst Norma did the crossword upstairs… What a dark horse. Can you imagine Spitting Image going to town on that?! If only they’d known.

And this is the crux of the matter. The minister of education should always be an ex-teacher, the health minister should be an ex-nurse. The government should not be manned by experts in their field instead of public school boys with no real world experience.

It’s funny, Brown, Major and May, I would class them all as relatively uninspiring but likely good managers. Most people don’t seem to want that - they want an all singing all dancing monkey. I would much prefer someone who gets the job done quietly and competently, rather than the spice boys/girls or “New” whatever culture… .

1 Like

Beat me to it.