UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Yep. I don’t think it’s right. You certainly shouldn’t be able to take a massive majority in the commons on a minority of the vote, whoever you are.

I’ve also previously said that at their height, UKIP should have had representation.

I’ve always thought the UK should grown up from the idea that coalitions are something to be afraid of.

Our political system is farcical.

3 Likes

Better than having a party in power who’s stance was “erm, well, what we could, erm, do, maybe is possibly maybe have another sort of erm votey thing on the erm you know sort of decisiony thing the public sort of erm made………”

Brexit was never going to be simple but at least it’s now almost done.

1 Like

Isn’t the idea of democracy that you put a “group” in power to act in our interest? If everybody has an input then nothing gets achieved. Surely you’ve served of a committee before? Many voices make zero progress.

That’s the problem though. We’re hooked on this idea of power and that Governents should be powerful. Personally I don’t think that’s working out that great.

Governments should be about compromise. There is nothing wrong with that. And a government with 40% of the vote certainly should have the power to do whatever it wants.

1 Like

Don’t worry, Boz is about to go Ceasar and Dishy Rishy will server till we’ve won 40 titles :slight_smile:

Actually do you all even have in mind a politician who is more than capable to lead this country? I mean more than capable, not just a lesser evil than what you have right now? Just curious to know because its just a generic feeling I have is that some, if not majority, just want Anyone But… rather than Someone Who is…

Wow you people live on another planet. Obviously one that’s shielded from the impact of Brexit

Well, I import from Europe so absolutely shielded.

Truss, Patel, and Raab have all backed him. Sunak’s supposed to have given him “tepid” support :joy:

I have a horrible feeling Johnson’s going to get through this.

Wait for a few years when he releases his memoirs and talks of carrying the nation and falling on his sword like some kind of hero

Ironically that’s exactly how Johnson speaks.

1 Like

Everyone wants him gone, but no one wants to take up the job…

And the captain of the Golgafrincham B ark. Thanks Douglas :slight_smile:

Jockying for position in the wings. If you have no desire for power, promotion and ultimately PM then you’re an odd politician.

So what’s going to happen now?

1. BoJo carries on
  2. Someone replaces him
  3. New election

:thinking:

There won’t be an election until the next scheduled one, which means they will spend money on shit as a bribery and talk usual shit about being tough on crime , immigration, levelling up etc …and the papers will lap it up and in between the papers will be printing slowly stories of Starmer and others within the Labour party and say it’s scandalous…unless of course Starmer jumps in bed with Murdoch, which given previous labour leaders doing so wouldn’t be a surprise .

Case of wash rinse and repeat as always

1 Like

Timing. If we were clearly on the recovery path, with no looming inflation problem, then it would be a plum job. As it is right now, it’s not the most strategic move to be PM.

But the opportunity to blame public enemy number one if he is knifed gives one a get out of jail free card for a few years. Waiting for the perfect opportunity might leave you older than Joe Biden.

There might be a lasting association of the woes with the Conservative Party though, which may not be what you want to have as the leader potentially going into a general election.