UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

With the revelations about parties on the eve of Prince Philip’s funeral I’m changing my mind. Johnson’s not surviving that. Doesn’t matter that he wasn’t there.

2 Likes

I had the same thought. A lot of the Conservative voters he needs to bluster through this probably weren’t paying a great deal of attention until that.

That’s the final blow, really? Says a lot about this country considering he wasn’t even there…

Presuming a lot of those Tories are from small majority margins or those from the “blue wall”, basically knowing that working class people voted for them for brexit etc and are now worried by being seen to support another case of us Vs Westminster

Large numbers were already outraged that anyone, but the Queen became the leading symbol, had to mourn the loss of loved ones alone. To now discover that parties were happening in Downing Street at the same time? I’m certain I’m not alone in feeling apoplectic about that.

1 Like

I’m upset about that, but surely any one of the many other parties were bad enough, especially the ones that he was there for…

He’s “only” admitted being there for 1. But all the other parties, so far, were in 2020 and are not as clearly “parties” in the way this one has reported to be.

What I’m thinking is, most people won’t have your nuance about it.

This one though is egregious and heads ought to roll about how blatantly blasé they were about restrictions, but I still don’t think it’s as bad as the other ones were on how it ought to reflect on Johnson.

You can’t underestimate how emotional politics truly is, and how much more emotional an image/photo can be. This scandal until yesterday was defined by a photo of a normal-ish garden party, that is problematic only because of the restrictions at the time. I’d bet half of the people that saw it are mentally forgiving the lapse in their heads. The image Kopstar posted puts a new image on it.

Critically though, the people most likely to have the strongest reaction along those lines are exactly the people whom BoJo needs support from now.

1 Like

I’m not underestimating it, and I fully understand the point, which is only emphasised by the speed at which Downing Street felt the need to rush out an apology.

I’m just saying it isn’t right.

I suppose, but she immediately becomes a stand-in for countless citizens who similarly had to mourn alone for their own loved ones.

2 Likes

Sort of feels like Al Capone in some ways, who did loads of horrid things (allegedly) but was done for something as prosaic as tax fraud… Similarly Boris has done loads of things that should have ended his tenure but will instead see it ended (if it indeed does) for something much less directly linked to him…

1 Like

I’d love to own a chalet in the Alps, dolomites or whatever but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want THAT one.

While my comment was a little snipe at the Daily Mails pathetic effort to discredit Starmer I’d bet he himself regrets that he didn’t prosecute Saville. I’ve no idea why, but can only assume a lack of evidence at the time.

Anyhow, the UK political system needs a proper dredging and reorganisation.

Ordinarily I would agree, but the same day that comes out, there is also the reports of the Chinese spy linked to a Labour MP who even had emplyed the spy’s son.

Might be coincidence, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this spy news has been sat on for a time like this

1 Like

Do you know what bugs me?

To there’s not a Goldbridge for United’s centre forward chance that other members of the Conservative party didn’t know about this. Sunak for one living next door. And yet they’ve all managed to appear isolated from it.

You mentioned the press which is also bang on.

It would not surprise me if a few of them were there as well.

Boris will fall over this but he’s the tip of a very dirty iceberg IMO.

2 Likes

Since this video is going around the world right now… I have to admit he is really entertaining. Anyway, if you look at it from the outside, you can bet that something embarrassingly “funny” is happening on a regular basis.
Maybe he still has a career in a comedy show or something, far away from politics. :sweat_smile:

Edit :wink:

Given the state of her family, I wouldn’t be surprised if she were happy to be on her own anyway.

Christ, what a tough choice at the next election. Vote for either Boris or Gary fucking Neville