UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

I’ve had drinks at the bars of the Houses of Parliament on quite a few occasions. Probably among the cheapest pints in London because, for some reason I could never justify, they’re free of tax.

1 Like

I can just see the birth of my political career

It’s been a funny week.

Boris Johnson
Prince Andrew
Novak Djokovic

All having a terrible week for what amounts to the same thing. Believing they were above the norms of society, and can use their power/money to avoid scrutiny.

It’s good to see it all come crashing down to earth.

10 Likes
2 Likes

DAILY MAIL COMMENT: It’s time to find our sense of perspective DAILY MAIL COMMENT: It's time to find our sense of perspective  | Daily Mail Online

And here they come totally missing the point of people’s anger

Also, like in this article, there is a conscious effort by the right wing press to drag Keir Starmer into this scandal by claiming he also had a party and is therefore a hypocrite.

This is nonsense of course. Starmer had a zoom call with Labour Activists in the evening, and had to have his dinner in the office. He had a bottle of lager with it and someone took a photo of him through the window. Labour were also transparent and explained this eight months ago. It’s entirely typical of what we have to put up with here.

2 Likes
1 Like

What this also means, of course, is that the UK’s GDP had not only already grown back to beyond pre-pandemic levels but also beyond pre leaving-the-EU levels. :eyes:

Something isn’t right somewhere, I’m clearly missing something. The Office for Budget Responsibility, the very organisation from which Sunak would base his budget predicted that Brexit would be twice as damaging as Covid. This was in October last year.

In less than a month we had passed pre Covid / pre Brexit levels.

What have I missed?

I think the point is that we’re behind where we would be (now) if it wasn’t for either of them.

This encapsulates the problem. You fly to California every year and drive everywhere.

Why?

1 Like

Because, you know, travel is nice? Beats 3 weeks in Blackpool for sure. And as the plane is going anyway, makes no difference.

So millions of people are fucking up the planet and the lives of future generations for something that is “nice”?

Great. :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, just me and a few billion others doing the same. Although I’ve not been on a plane for 2 years.

Welcome back btw :slight_smile:

The foreign holidays is a case on point of the way people’s brains work in relation to crises like climate change.

100 years ago, there would have been very little expectation that anyone would be able to fly around the world on holiday. Even for the very wealthy, foreign jaunts would have meant weeks at sea on a boat.

Now we’re at the point where millions of brits (not to mention people in other countries) feel it is their divine right to not only have foreign holidays, but also take three or four weekend trips to foreign countries (pre-pandemic anyway)

It is really nice to travel and see other parts of the world. But we have got to get to grips with the idea that keeping the world inhabitable is going to mean we have to stop doing some stuff that is ‘nice’. We’re going to have to make some sacrifices.

It would have been nice to have 2 children. As we only have one (living) then that offsets our flights and far more. Not done the maths, could be interesting.

No more importing of foreign wines… :thinking:

From here:

Never understand why I can buy a perfectly acceptable Wolf Blass (Australian for those who don’t drink) Chardonnay or Cab for £6/7 and the equivalent French standard is £10. It’s not great but it’s good enough for a Tuesday morning, errm, afternoon……