UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Just seemed a quite appropriate reference given the other conversation. Food for thought IMHO.

1 Like

Led by Donkeys strike againā€¦

3 Likes

Agreed, but I think that the news operation does need a significant overhaul. The journalistic quality is quickly becoming poor, regardless of whether itā€™s politically biased or not. Too often fact checking is just not there at all, and the quality of their articles is often near tabloid-level.

2 Likes

Well, it will be tabloid level once itā€™s privatised.

2 Likes

This is true, and I also think the quality of the dramas is overplayed. The good ones are few and far between, and the content being put out by Netflix, Hulu, Apple etc generally superior.

Thatā€™s very, very good.

Maybe itā€™s a question of taste, but I actually prefer the BBC productions. And Iā€™d hate to lose the Proms.

1 Like

The thing is thereā€™s no reason to lose anything if the corporation is so great and adored as much as people say, then it will survive as a subscription service.

I barely watch anything on there, and while I do use the website for news, it has become so clickbaity I wouldnā€™t be sad if I couldnā€™t use it anymore.

I would prefer to not have to pay for something that I donā€™t use. If it was all of the high standard it was in the late 80s then fine, but I donā€™t believe it is.

1 Like

Ah but I like Quality Street chocolates (or Heroā€™s to be more up to date) but hate the coffee, strawberry and orange creams and the coconut things (who the f*** likes that desicrated coconut stuff?). Does that mean I should only pay for the chocolates I like?

Sorry, couldnā€™t help myself. Your argument is the same used by Julia Hartley-Brewer which has become a bit of a meme I believe.

It doesnā€™t sound like you like Quality Street then, it sounds like you only like some of them. It should be up to you if you want access to all the chocolates you like then you should have to pay for all of it and just not eat the ones you donā€™t like.

If youā€™re happy to miss out on the chocolate you do like and buy something else entirely that you like more, then that should be an option available to you

My argument isnā€™t pay for what you use, itā€™s pay for all of it or pay for none of it.

Yes, same. When you buy them you get them all, thereā€™s no choice for a fixed fee. Despite my best efforts of gorging on the fudges and caramels leaving the yucky ones for the Boss I always lose out.
And yes I will try and buy ones I like as well

In reality they tend to be gifts, but the battle is real. Iā€™ve gone all Gump again.

1 Like

Iā€™ll happily pay for TMS and Pop Master but Eastenders, Woke Who and local radio can die a death.

Are you really dissing Attenborough? Shame on you!

I donā€™t know of another website to get reliable (on the whole) news, especially without lots of meaningless adds dotted all over the place.

4 Likes

He can stay but then heā€™ll be extinct in a few years :wink:

I think the Beeb is getting better and on a wider range of platforms.

Am I happy with a license fee. No, not really but thatā€™s the way itā€™s all going one way or another.

1 Like

That 's why I still use it, but itā€™s more out if laziness. If it wasnā€™t an option to me, Iā€™d make the effort to find an alternative.

1 Like

The best journalistic source Iā€™ve found thus far in the UK is one that sadly comes with a very hefty fee (and a reminder that good work has to be paid for somehow). Itā€™s owned by a Japanese company so probably less incentive to be biased too. Itā€™s the Ā£319/year FT.

1 Like

Reading in a Dutch newspaper that Johnson spoke with Sky news and said that nobody told him the garden party was against COVID rules ā€¦

Am I missing something but is Johnson not the one that enforces those same COVID rules and thereby he should know them ā€¦

1 Like

I think the line of argument is that Johnson didnā€™t know about the invite to 100 members of staff with the suggestion that they bring their own booze. Cummings has claimed he told Johnson about the plan and warned him it would be in breach. However, what Cummings actually did was communicate that to Martin Reynolds (Johnsonā€™s Private Secretary who sent the invitation) and assumes that he relayed those sentiments to Johnson.

I can think of a few reasons why Reynolds may not have done this. So itā€™s quite possible that Johnson wasnā€™t aware of the nature of the gathering in the garden in advance but it would have become immediately obvious to him as soon as he got there.

It was in breach of the rules at the time and, as you say, as one of the people responsible for framing those rules he absolutely would have known what they were.

2 Likes