UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Currently discounted to £159/year.

1 Like

Just sayin’…

But holds the record for the most deleted tweets.

Where did you see that? I just looked on the FT site and the digital offer is £212.

Think that must be about the former German Minister for Culture. But it’s worth pointing out that both the French and German ministries are much more focused on “the arts” than the UK’s, which also includes Media and Sport.

In that regard, I offer as a counter that Dorries grew up in Anfield and is a red.

The defence rests.

1 Like

Please don’t tell me I’ve been duped!

1 Like

Thanks for posting that. Your link does take you through to a page offering it for £159.

2 Likes

sounds like the 54 letters to Graham Brady may be in. He is to give a statement in the morning. Journalists are reporting that a number of Conservative MPs are upset at the way the Whips have treated them, and the feeling that Johnson is willing to sacrifice them in order to get out of trouble.

1 Like

Have you a link to a story here please? Nothing on BBC?

Ignore, just looked on twitter (not my usual place)

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Tory constituency offices right now…

Life Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

4 Likes

So, all this might not lead to anything this week, but it is interesting that we have comments from Times, Telegraph and Spectator suggesting something might result from this. Meanwhile the Daily Mail is being critical of the red wall tories, calling it the Pork Pie plot - I can’t see how that builds bridges.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/MrPLitchfield/status/1483072898839592975?s=20

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Getting rid of Boris is the easy part. The fella has lost credibility. He didn’t have it with opponents, but from his own rank and file it has been evaporating.

The issue is what happens next? Will the right leader be selected? And will they want it right now, due to the adverse circumstances around the job?

I have long thought that Boris will suffer an Et tu Brute moment from his own party, before the next election, as he is too damaging for them. That’s the easy part.

But getting the right person, and timing it correctly… that’s a different proposition.

1 Like

I’m not so sure about this. There appears to be some pushback from grass root members of the party (or at least that is the image some are presenting - which if true could be problematic as we might see the same sort of split that has plagued Labour in recent years). Then there is the issue you highlight about who the right person to replace him would be - that could mean that the lack of concensus on who that is, limiting the number of MPs who will support a motion to replace him.

Can’t they just get some smarmy multimillionaire type? Any ideas?

I should have said, making the decision to get rid of Boris is the easier part… but enacting it will be more difficult. If it doesn’t happen very soon I will be shocked if it doesn’t happen before the next election, as Boris is hurting them too much.

1 Like