UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

WRONG!!!

That’s my desk on 4 January 2022. Always lots do after the Christmas break.

1 Like

Boris will be harder to remove than a barnacle, I reckon. He will not go quietly.

Thanks @redfanman for all of those Tweets…looks as though if he’d just shut his fat gob after the apology he would have been fine.

Unfortunately for him, taking responsibility for anything is not in his DNA.

1 Like

Well you go to bed early and wake up to all this.

Could we see the first ever forced eviction from No. 10, bailiffs and all?

Personally I feel for the dog. Traumatic time moving house. Hope no one at the party stood in the poop.

People always say they don’t use the BBC. Yes you do.

It may be true, however, there are lots of services the government ‘provides’ that we hope not to use, so individual use of such doesn’t make much sense as an argument to me.

Equally, there will be some services an individual will consume more of than others.

Indeed. As soon as the spouse turns up, it’s no longer a work meeting.

Which is a problem, no?

The spouse of the Prime Minister should not have any role in policy. Just because she occasionally lets that fat, sweaty liar have a go on her doesn’t give her a say in running the county.

It’s either a social - which is a problem, because that’s not allowed - or it’s a work meeting - which is a problem, because she shouldn’t be there.

1 Like

What I’ve never understood is how these Tory pricks - you know the ones, permanently draped in a Union flag, droning about patriotism and Great Britain - continually go on about how brilliant the UK is, how respected around the world the UK, but seem absolutely hell bent on smashing to pieces everything that has earned the UK that respect.

The BBC, The NHS, The Rule of Law, our soft power influence, the concept of decency and fairness, in more recent years our multiculturalism and our tolerance.

What is it about the UK they actually do value?

5 Likes

Can I suggest that we start a campaign for Mark Francois to replace Boris? You know , the guy with the flags who has a French name but is English to the core.

The giggles would be glorious.

It’s the second and I agree it’s wholly inappropriate. It would not, however, be a breach of covid rules. I think Carrie should be fully investigated. Who knows what sorts of people may be able to influence her such that they can indirectly influence the PM.

4 Likes

Absolutely. If Boris wants to argue it was a work meeting and allowed, the obvious question is ‘then what the fuck is your wife doing there?’

He can’t have it both ways. If he wants to say it’s a work meeting, his missus being there is a problem. If he wants to say it was a social gathering and his wife is fine to be there, then it’s against Covid rules.

3 Likes

I’ve said this before but such defections ought to immediately trigger a by-election.

4 Likes

Good knock there from Kir, nice line on the first question after the heckle about listening to the PM “Presumed that was aimed at this side of the house”

Borris bluster, quelle surprise.

1 Like

Absolutely. The whim of the MP does not trump the will of the electorate.

I think the primary argument against that tends to be that people elect the person, not the party, but I think we all know that that’s a falsehood.

If they do get to the 54 letters asking for vote of no confidence what happens then? Do all the Tory MPs have a secret vote on whether they still support BJ and if not MPs put themselves up for the job and the Tory members then choose? Or does it go to their members to decide whether they want him to remain?

I can’t see a majority of their MPs voting him out or more would have put in letters by now, surely? Let’s hope Sue Gray’s report is finished soon and it is damming. That plus Cumming’s old emails (or whatever they were) being found (if not mysteriously ‘lost’) might be enough to get him out. I’m not holding my breath though…

The net effect of that rule is stronger party discipline. I am not at all sure that is a good thing.

1 Like

No, you vote for the local candidate, not for the party - or at least that is how it theroretically should work.

If that candidate changes allegence that is becasue they feel the party is fucking up beyond ability to work with them.

1 Like

Great, in which case they should have no concern about winning a by-election then…

But they are still representing the constituants in parliment, so why is there the need for a by-election?

If they quit as a MP, then fine, have a by-election, but just because they change political parties isn’t enough