UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t and that it had only become an issue because of Bojo.

3 Likes

being so totally removed from what’s actually happening over there, reading this thread is like reading the viewers’ commentary on a 10-part miniseries on the british government without actually watching it. quite fascinating, and I think would be a very interesting concept for it’s own style of web-based show that you can watch at your own speed. call it…“The Headlines”.

However, it makes me miss Rubicon. I wish it had gone further than one season.

2 Likes

It’s very likely, of course, that Johnson has exposed the fault lines.

That’s not to excuse either Johnson or the structure itself. You can see an ever increasing move towards handing increasing power to the Executive. I don’t know when it began but it was certainly progressed under Blair and pretty much every successive PM since.

As Gray’s update indicates, No 10 has become almost a government department on its own. She says that the buildings and human resources are simply not equipped for this and must be updated.

The alternative, that she doesn’t mention (perhaps she can’t as a civil servant?) is that this expansion of executive influence needs to be reversed. Rather than catering for an ever increasing team supporting the PM, the office of No 10 ought to revert to what it was intended to be.

1 Like
3 Likes

Do you mean reality mini-series or drama/satire?

Some great examples of the latter.

House of Cards
Yes, Prime Minister
Yes, Minister
The Thick of It

5 Likes
2 Likes

Easily seemingly.

spot on. I liked House of Cards for about 4 seasons. Molly Parker, mmmm.

It would be interesting to see if someone could produce a web-based show off fact-based details that would stay within a week of real timelines, with their own characters giving interpretations of how they think the conversations actually happen which we aren’t privy to. But how easy would that be to start giving it it’s own political slant and weight… it’d be a recipe for brilliance and disaster in the same sentence…

1 Like

So what do you guys think, will he survive?

Really don’t know. He shouldn’t do. Tory MPs are speaking out in the House, which suggests he has alienated different wings of the party.

Bojo is off to the Ukraine tomorrow. Wouldn’t be surprised if he the required number of letters were submitted by the time he got back. His performance in the House today was pretty damning by all accounts and the leaks from the police investigation may be happening to remove the need for them to be seen as delivering a knock out blow. If he walks before they announce their findings, they will be under less scrutiny. The problem is, he doesn’t quit - so we are dependent on the Conservative party to do something here.

3 Likes

Yes and I have money on it.

1 Like

Yes, he’ll survive until the general election. Don’t think anyone wants to take over at this point.

1 Like

Go Away Reaction GIF by CBS

1 Like

jabba the hutt GIF by Star Wars

You think?

2 Likes

I think @Klopptimist is going to lose his money :grimacing:

There is now open revolt in the Tory party. Backbencher and former heavyweights willing to stand up and criticise him and call for his resignation in the house. If that’s how Tory MPs feel, how do you think that translates to the public?

One thing the Conservatives are exceptionally good at is knifing a leader that has served his/her purpose. The only reason they tolerated Boris was that he had a knack with the public. That’s seems to have been fatally damaged.

3 Likes

Well, he’s still there. I think you recently stated he would be gone soon. I think he’ll tough it out.

I’d like to see him in the Tower for reference but surviving this means he’s basically there till he retires.

1 Like