UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

I’m looking forward to our new solar panels, which are getting installed in a month. This should help ameliorate my issues around electricity consumption, but gas for heating is unavoidable for now without significant infrastructural investment.

I’m wondering how much can be done to incentivise similar work for others, that can be done relatively cheaply to help produce more 100% renewable energy…

1 Like

Cutting council tax is a massive fuck up too - councils have been suffering continuous cuts for years now, and are at breaking point - expect the quality of your local government services to fall further.

Where’s the PPE money Rishi? Bet some of it landed in your own pockets.

1 Like

How does it go? Ah yes…

Then they should do it. And decrease the surplus population.

:flushed:

1 Like

Our council has done fuck all for two years and blamed COVID for it. Schools, business, domestic, every service a sham. I had an email recently from the council saying there would be a delay in processing my enquiry as they were still dealing with emails from March. Shameful.

Well, in part yes because a lot of these issues have come about by their actions in introducing the capping system, failure to properly address the threat of an energy crisis and removal of gas storage facility without replacing it.

3 Likes

EU grants?

Oh …

Remind me, who funds your local council again?

1 Like

Good evening Mr Dickens.

Me!!!

1 Like

At least you know where your NI increase is going. Its going towards paying for the government’s corruption.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Well it is if the government sits back and does fuck all whilst they can see the energy bills rocketing, rather than worry about geopolitics in a country that we have fuck all to do with (other than pleasing twit face biden and the war machines ) maybe address issues that affect people in this country and make sure that they aren’t being ripped off by energy companies just for the sake of it eg see shell energy boasting £12 billion profits .

It’s ok for the government to blast their cosy offices each and everyday because us mugs pay for it, and it’s ok for them to blast it at home for exactly the same reason…because they are so detached from reality that they have no idea what the poor people are struggling with, and when it is pointed out they just babble nonsense

1 Like

Councils are doing “fuck all” because Central Government have cut funding, whilst simultaneously increasing their statutory duties over the last 15 years or so. The cuts have meant backlogs of things for years and years now, and it’s about to get even worst with further cuts. Albeit we as taxpayers pay for the service, directly to our local councils, when you actually look at the costs incurred to provide the services, its staggering.

Add to that, the highest skill workforce are largely better off working in the private sector financially compared to local government, where pay has fallen in value by 25% since 2010.

I think there are many services provided by councils through the pandemic that are worthy of tipping ones hat to. To keep things ticking over as best as they can, whilst also feeling the wrath of the tax payer, as they’re the ones at the coal face, is a bit like being in the middle of a human centipede.

3 Likes

You do realise the situation in Ukraine and the geopolitics is partially why our energy bills have rocketed don’t you?

Who are you referring to as the government here?

Well, let’s agree to differ. I’m currently at the very sharp end of a council who are very slow to do the giving and phenomenally swift to do the taking.

This country is fucking shit now. The powers that be don’t even bother with Vaseline any more. I feel really bad for kids starting out now to try and establish a half-decent life for themselves and their loved ones. Play the game fairly and you haven’t got a fucking prayer. Cheat, lie, steal and treat everybody with contempt and you’ve got a chance.

3 Likes

I like to hope that you’re wrong and hard work, honesty and endeavour will always triumph.

Just not in politics which has always been full of treachery and devious Machiavellian antics straight from the depths of hell.

:grimacing:

Reporters smelling blood

2 Likes