UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Poots and Truss

throw side GIF

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

He’s (Gove) a slimy bugger

WTF?

Who is this arrogant lemon. Burnham has every right to question why he has been given X when promised Y.

Sadly, it reveals a fair bit about the mentality of a certain type of Conservative thinking. Accept what you’re given, be grateful for whatever crumbs we throw to you, know your betters.

1 Like

Worth a listen. £8.7bn down the pan on top of the £4.3bn Covid fraud and you get 1 National insurance uplift, give or take.

Gove’s response? “We were hustling.” You’ve been hustled actually.

How much food is he handing out - he seems to to consuming most of it by the look…

1 Like

It’s his posture that gets me.

1 Like

Much of that £8.7bn is the value of PPE being written down now the cost of buying it has dropped to normal levels isn’t it?

In which case not sure that it is a figure to concentrate on.

I cant post in economics thread but this might be of interest here as MMT has been argued for in UK by some.

Mosley is one of the leading voices in MMT, and i think is seen by some almost as its father figure.

£4.7bn was overpaying. I assume that means we paid above the already inflated market value at that time. A double hit if you like and is considered a loss in value.

£673M was totally unusable

£750m reached its expiry date before use

£2.6bn was spent on items unsuitable for use by the NHS but could be sold on or given to charities

Worth noting that the UK spent £12.1bn on PPE. Basically over 75% write down.

Sunak confirming the price cap increase of £693 for energy prices - a lot more people are about to fall into poverty.

National insurance going up soon too. Cost of living is increasing way faster than wages across the board for the vast majority

Everything’s fucked - especially for the likes of Millionaire Sunak who’s wife’s a casual billionaire.

1 Like

Like all bills, if you can’t afford them, consume less or earn more.

Yup so retired working class folk should just die if they can’t afford to have the heating on

2 Likes

Which is of course the government’s fault…

1 Like

The real problem with this policy is that the UK is consuming more energy than it can reliably supply, creating price spikes. If most households are given that subsidy, then most households are not going to find a way to curtail energy consumption, and demand is still going to exceed supply. This is already showing up in the forward price curve. It amounts to pouring money out of the treasury into the pockets of energy traders - and no amount of legislation is going to change that, because too much of the gas simply can go elsewhere.

This is to energy policy as Arsenal has been to buying forwards, covering one mistake with another more expensive one.

5 Likes