UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Are these “sacrifices” as Boris tries to save himself or are these genuine “screw this, I’m off”

They are resignations. At least one advisor citing Johnson’s smear of Starmer at the dispatch box (reading between the lines it’s not hard to guess that he was advised not to use this line).

Meanwhile…

Conveniently forgetting to mention that none of the other parties fielded a candidate out of respect for David Amess. Disingenuous cunt.

The replies to that tweet are really something. But the by-election is generally uncomfortable for the Tories.

24% turnout. The lowest in history. And ten percent of those were ballots spoiled with an anti Johnson message.

That should be deeply concerning in a safe as houses Tory seat.

1 Like

Unlikely to be one uniform reason but I wouldn’t be surprised if some of their positions are untenable following the investigations into lockdown breaches.

1 Like

Sorry mascot , you calling the murdered MP a disingenuous cunt ?

Of course not. Oliver Dowden is the disingenuous cunt. Firing out a tweet making no mention of or thanks to Labour, Libs and Greens for not standing. Suggesting voters had chosen the candidate and praising the ‘campaign’. Basically making this look like a stunning victory, rather than what it actually was - a procession, rightly unopposed because the previous MP was murdered.

3 Likes

I think a few have decided they aren’t letting Mr Tumble throw them under the bus.

1 Like

I agree there are likely to be a range of reasons, but wouldn’t it only be untenable if Bojo was to also step down? If he refuses to go despite his role in these parties then it should apply equally to his staff shouldn’t it?

Some of them pressed red when they were supposed to press green.

1 Like

I think it depends on the position of the barnacle as to how readily it is prised from a sinking ship.

Lol sorry , didn’t think you would have just read it wrongly , can’t say I know much about Dowden, but read the comments as suggested best one was along the lines of “unopposed , should have stood a cat against her and she’d have lost”

1 Like

Shell profits - 12 billion. Just sayin’…

1 Like

As he should, dishi Rishi is the man for me. Ironic really as I’m a heteronormative white supremecist at heart.

Ah yes. The public school, Oxbridge Millionsire with the Billionaire Wife.

Most most prominent contribution to public life so far? Eat out to help out, which probably killed thousands of people.

I don’t know happened to the country. It’s like we’ve all be fucking drugged or something.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/i/events/1489535824932876288

I can’t see this going down well…

That is just laughable, though we are seeing the same sentiment here. In the context of a labour shortage (which we have here), the required increase in wages isn’t truly inflation, it is factor re-pricing. Land and capital have to take a smaller share of the pie, because relatively speaking they are no longer as valuable. Trying to contain that force just creates distortions.

4 Likes