UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Well he was Director of Public Prosecutions between 2008-2013 when the reports were made to Sussex and Surrey police (2008-2009) and the CPS destroyed the case files (2010).

There were definitely earlier failings as well though, I agree. I think the earliest report linked to Savile was in the late 50s and then others followed almost every decade.

The problem here though is what evidence did they have and if there was enough creditable evidence for the CPP to proceed?

Which then leads to the question, what is considered to be reasonable for them to destroy case files if they are not going to charge someone - as you canā€™t expect them to retain ever single case file

Yes, but if Iā€™m understanding this correctly, he had no direct involvement in the crafting of the system that led to the systemic failures that you mention?

He was in private practice until being appointed Director of Public Prosecutions, which meant that he would not have had any involvement with the policies that led to a failure to prosecute and the destruction of case files right?

I presume the argument here is that he should have spotted the failings and rectified them, but he did so, and isnā€™t it in any case quite difficult to expect someone who wasnā€™t in an organisation before to be able to find and root out all the systemic failures in a short time?

Destroying files, reminds me of this:

James Hacker: How am I going to explain the missing documents to ā€œThe Mailā€?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Well, this is what we normally do in circumstances like these.

James Hacker: [reads memo] This file contains the complete set of papers, except for a number of secret documents, a few others which are part of still active files, some correspondence lost in the floods of 1967ā€¦

James Hacker: Was 1967 a particularly bad winter?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: No, a marvellous winter. We lost no end of embarrassing files.

They will , at the right moment.

The right moment has already been and gone.

I agree completely. But why is the leader of the opposition walking past a pile of anti-vax protestors? Not a good idea at the best of times.

No mate , they are working to a different calculus. It will either happen after the local elections in May or during the summer recess.

1 Like

I disagree. Now was the time.

Bangladesh politics has risen to the level of British politics (I could have said that the British politics has sunk to our level, but I didnā€™t want to miss out on the feel good factor).

You can say/do something utterly atrocious and can actually expect to gain some leverage.

1 Like

The powers that be must know a thing or two about how much worse this will get. Pretty much the opposite of Unitedā€™s management :joy:

Johnson rearranges deckchairs on the Titanic.

Glad heā€™s not, the water displacement would have me up-to my waist in chateaux Mersey.

We can go into details and failures of CPS but that kind of misses the point. The intent of Johnsonā€™s comment was not some intellectual equivalence or commentary on leadership. It was a tactic to smear. It was a dead cat to distract from a police investigation, it was a tasteless comment with malice. Something no Tory MP would repeat.

Even if we believe the comment was made in good faith (which given resignations) and how the comment was made is a huge stretch. The equivalence described by Tory MPs falls down.

Secret Barrister made an analogy. If your dog takes a dump on your neighbours lawn you have a moral responsibility to apologise on behalf of your dog. You might not be personally responsible but you take ownership of the situation.

Johnson on the other hand personally took a dump on his neighbourā€™s lawn and encouraged others to do so. First argued it was not him, then no rules were broken. Then he started an investigation to investigate if he had taken a dump on his neighbourā€™s lawn on multiple occasions.

Allegations of Saville where around for 40 years. It was a systematic failing. This failure was used by Starmer to instigate change.

10 Likes

I am sure Boris could find you a job at number 10. :slight_smile:

sam winchester yawn GIF

2 Likes

JS organised many many parties at the house of MT and her husband Denisā€¦ She look like she could have been a swinger or something more sinister to youā€¦ She does to meā€¦?
Back in the day, it must also be remembered there were strong unsavoury rumours about the behaviour of Ted Heath, Lord Brittan and even Prince Charlesā€¦! All associates of the despicable JSā€¦
All Conservatives as wellā€¦
BoJo is a snake for spouting what he didā€¦ If anyone was unsure how this guy operates, that display in Parliament goes some way to presenting his CV

3 Likes

Just looking at that fucker now and being reminded of how creepy he was , itā€™s almost impossible to believe that he got away with it , when everyone suspected , and some undoubtedly knew.

I can recall a mate of mine from Brum in the early 2000ā€™s telling me of someone he knew worked at Stoke Mandeville and of the rumours about him ā€˜interferingā€™ with the dead. I wasnā€™t having it at the time , put it down as an urban myth type story , but it makes me shudder now to think about it.