UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

It was reckoned JS had too much dirt to expose on the rich and powerful for him to be brought to account.
Depending how deep you read on this subject to determine conjecture from truth… There are viable strong links between those wanting to expose the ‘behind the scenes’ goings on and powerful forces covering stuff up…
The very sad demise of Jill Dando crops up regularly in the background stories

He was basically hiding in plain sight.

The BBC certainly hold a lot of culpability, as do the police and the Conservative Party. But it is easy to see, with the culture of casual sexism, misogency and the tendency to turn a blind eye that existed through the 70s and 80s how Savile could happen. Let’s not forget that Savile wasn’t the only rapey entertainer knocking about at the time. It’s no surprise that when concepts like ‘duty of care’, ‘safeguarding’, and ‘health and safety’ started to emerge in the 90’s Savile found himself quietly moved off air and his programmes cancelled.

I think for all the talk about failings and the hindsight-ism, there wasn’t a lot that could be done, other than learn from the horrific episode.

He was just too powerful and had the confidence of too many powerful people. He was bessies with the Prime Minister ffs (who seemed to consider herself a quasi-monarch anyway). There was little wonder that nobody felt they could move against him.

3 Likes

I’m a little surprised to see people focusing on the JS story and not pick up on this. The tax rises announced/expected during a time of ‘cost of living’ crisis are supposed to be paying for an increased investment in the Health Service, yet we have the Health Secretary saying things are going to get worse between now and the next election despite them…

1 Like

In the Tory party, when the money starts calling for your head, then you really are fucked.

3 Likes

In other news Boris Johnson is dispatching Liz Truss to Moscow to find a diplomatic solution to the Ukraine crisis.

Liz Truss.

Surely that’s a Brexit opportunity, ripe for the new minister?

Bugger, I haven’t finished my mancave, sorry nuclear bunker project yet

I can see a bog roll purchase run coming soon.

Fuck me.

Was Johnny English not available?

1 Like

I’m not following the Russia/ Ukraine situation closely, but from the headlines popping up in the last couple of days, it appears there is already some diplomatic solution underway and Russia is in the process of pulling back anyway. So, presumably Truss’s involvement is just for domestic spin anyway.

:rofl:

I’m hoping that she was part of the deal. Maybe Putin has a weird crush on her.

“Send me Truss, and I’ll withdraw the troops”

That would be a win-win.

If it was me, she’d have been on a plane to Moscow before Vlad had even put the phone down.

The perennial framing of a slowing down in spending growth as some how being a cut in spending. It’s not even a cut in real terms spending, it continues to grow!

For the Doom fans, BFG?

So the question becomes why is it struggling? Ambulances should not be queuing outside A and E.

Maybe because other services have been cut and the NHS is asked to pick it up? I’m speculating as I don’t know.

So many reasons. Covid is the major factor but also aging population, waste, costs of recruitment, increasing costs of medicines, equipment, utilities etc.

Alongside funding, it’s also necessary to consider the effects of perpetual, never ending reorganisations. Pretty much my whole family work in the NHS, and they say it never been worse. People haven’t got a clue what’s going on, nothing works, everything is chaotic.

Certainly agree on Covid but this was happening before that bat got caught. I can’t see how it’s costs have increased in terms of wastage etc. If anything I’d be they’ve trying to streamline it. But then management consultants could rip any organisation a new one if not “managed”

(look at the date)

1 Like

In practical terms it is though isn’t it - if it doesn’t match the rate at which demand grows, and is lower than not just the rate of growth under the last labour government but also the long term historical rate?

2 Likes