UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

I also wonder how much inflation will eat into that hike that Boris is so keen to boast about?

This tickled me a bit.

1 Like

I had no idea that Major had heard all the evidence and was qualified to rule on the matter.

I presume the police investigation is no longer necessary?

Set in law that you canā€™t have social gatherings.

Presence of booze constitutes social gathering (easily argued)

Social gathering took place.

Itā€™s not exactly Sherlock level.

1 Like

Nope.

Nope.

TBD.

Elementary.

1 Like

I see that the blonde buffoon now says that ā€˜we are at the most dangerous phaseā€™ of the Ukraine crisisā€¦ talk about having no idea at all and blubbering any random phrase in front of the mediaā€¦ :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I donā€™t know. Seeing as heā€™s trying to insert himself into it as we speak, heā€™s probably right!

Yes yes yes and if I say it enough times it becomes true.

No.10 has booze on hand for official engagements, which would constitute as work.

(However, i agree this is most unlikely to be what Boris was doing during these parties)

The interesting thing about Major speaking out is it shows that Johnson is becoming a pariah for the Conservatives.

Heā€™s not a judge, and he isnā€™t in authority to make a ruling on the case, but he is speaking with common sense. If Johnson gets off with it, it will fly in the face of what seems just to the wider public. We should, of course, have the rule of law and it needs to run its course, but everyone can see that Johnson is out of order.

He has plenty on his record to warrant a resignation, but for some reason he is hanging on for dear life. Arguably he sees himself in the same sort of company as some of the great leaders of the past, but he is very far from that.

Regardless of policy or party, when the whole country is being instructed to play their part in battling the pandemic, thereā€™s a sense in which people will do what needs to be doneā€¦ but they need to see their leaders in the same boat, making the same sacrifices. When that happens, it holds together.

When the leaders behave in the manner they have, it just grates. A one off mistake is probably forgivable. A litany of errors points to it not being a mistake, but very much a group that considers itself above the rules.

That simply wonā€™t do. Whether it is the police, his own MPā€™s, his own overdue sense of doing the right thing and resigning, or the public at the ballot box, Johnsonā€™s time as PM will come to an end. He has undermined the dignity and gravitas of the office, and will, rightly, go down in history as a buffoon.

2 Likes

I agree with the rest but not your opening paragraph. Major can hardly be said to reflect mainstream Conservative ideology right now. On the major issue of the day (the EU) heā€™s diametrically opposed.

I do have a lot of time for him though.

2 Likes

As Lavrov compared the Ukrainian president to Joseph Goebbels, I had a quick look on who this guy is. Itā€™s quite stunning to be honest. This guy first studied economy, then produced and played as an actor in a popular TV series, in which he played a teacher who unexpectedly becomes president of the country. It had immense success.

After that, he created a political party with the same name than the series, a typically populist one (Servant of the People), and immediately got elected with 73% of all voices! You couldnā€™t make that up to be honestā€¦ :man_facepalming:

Otherwise, heā€™s a dirty, authoritarian populist with neo-con and warmongering tendencies. He isnā€™t Goebbels, but certainly a very fishy guy whom I wouldnā€™t trust at any time, and even less so during an international crisis.

God help us. Listen to the video.

ray donovan omg GIF by Sky

Sadiq Khan basically sacked her.

I wonder how Pritti Patel and Boris feel about that?

A week or two ago there was a story in the papers that Pritti Patel had wanted to sack her but Boris intervened.

I havenā€™t seen that but did see a clip of her interview by ministers after release of the latest report into the Met police. Fair to say she isnā€™t a fan.

I suppose Boris has lost an ally within the Police now.

Is fucking right. About five years too late.

1 Like