UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

1 Like

And there it is. All we need to know about Johnson’s utter ignorance for the world around him. Yet again.

1 Like

Is it ignorance or the fact that he needs to toe the line and do what his ruling overlord and paymaster Vlad P tells him to do?

Maybe, but he doesn’t give 2 fucjks about anyone other than Boris Johnsanov.

2 Likes

That’s a fucking belter - definitely will be stealing that at some point

Be my guest.

Just 50 visas offered to Ukrainians. Those at Calais being denied.

Poor form by this government

1 Like

There was a whole thing that they had to apply as fruit pickers and pay ÂŁ250 for the application as well.

How to make friends by the UK government

Legislation before Parliament today ought to change that, as well as the ability and speed with which to sanction wealthy individuals.

I do worry about some of this legislation though. The more indiscriminate it becomes, the fewer enquiries needed, the more open to abuse it is, the more antithesis it is to natural justice. I’m not sure it (specifically the sanctions legislation) would survive judicial challenges in a functioning democratic society.

Bad laws are passed in haste.

Is nobody else slightly alarmed at this?

1 Like

Personally I’m alarmed at pretty much everything this government does.

3 Likes

But aren’t you advocating for the government to be given increased powers and fewer scrutiny?

Wonder if it was a Labour government doing the same actions though would you be equally alarmed ?

No offence meant by it but it does seem that some posters have outrage simply because it’s the Tories and therefore it doesn’t matter what the scandal is, it’s just open season because of the party, and not the issues etc , which is totally acceptable in regards to the issue.

But as I say it does feel if it was a Labour government there would not be so much outrage.

Classic example is the Russian money, and yet China has done the same to Labour allegedly but not much rage going on in that regards .

1 Like

Hell no. I want this government to be properly held to account for the absolute shit storm they they are presiding over.

The stuff they have gotten away with is (enter term of choice here)

If any government of any side / position in the political spectrum was doing the same shit I’d be equally appalled.

this lot have basically been taking the piss.

3 Likes

Ummm…yep.

In fact many here would find the suggestion that I overlook Labour sins to be quite amusing.

Edit. Ah, were you addressing me or @Noo_Noo ?

First they came for multi-Billionaire Russian Oligarchs using their stolen wealth to disrupt foreign democracies to the benefit of Vladimir Putin, and I did not speak out for I was not a multi-Billionaire Russian Oligarch using my stolen wealth to disrupt foreign democracies to the benefit of Vladimir Putin…

1 Like

That’s the rub. In the haste to be seen to be sanctioning as many entities as possible, as if that’s what authorities ought to be judged by, there will be many who that doesn’t apply to.

There is no need to be technical. Just arrest all Russian passport holders in the UK with estimated wealth above 10m pounds - possibly 1,000 people. Use the already existing and previously utilised SIS protocols and the murkiest terrorism powers to robustly interview them and guide them to extensively denounce Putin’s war on Ukraine on video or claim they will face being charged under terrorism legislation. Those who do denounce Putin can agree to donate 10% of their assets to a fund for Ukraine and remain in UK (call it a new visa scheme if you like) or they can have 100% of their assets frozen and then be deported back to Russia (alongside their video) to face a Russian welcome.
Those who refuse to denounce Putin can languish and be transferred to the Ukrainian embassy for detention when other legal avenues to hold them are exhausted.

1 Like

I dont think it is of comparable depth in the slightest. It is amusing though that you think Labour get a free pass on things.

1 Like

Depends if one trusts the government or not.

I certainly dont think it helps when you see the current government “helping” the very rich while squeezing those that struggle. Most of us certainly tend towards or originate from families that are not from that super wealthy bracket.

Also on top of that you just see awful and selfish behaviour and policies that are driven by some very irrational or media driven agenda’s.

I’m actually embarrassed by being from the UK at the moment.

2 Likes