UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

How so. This is just not true .Eighty percent of EU law is also UK law. The UK had a major influence on EU laws and had the right of Veto.

I donā€™t know if her domicile status is wrong. I certainly donā€™t know enough about her connections to India and where they majority of her assets are held, where she holds property etc, (determining domicile isnā€™t always straightforward) but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth when the multimillionaire wife of the chancellor is avoiding paying taxes in the country he holds office.

Letā€™s see if this is a speedy investigation. They always seem to be when itā€™s into the leak of Tory misdeeds, but not so much when itā€™s the investigation of the misdeeds themselves.

It still boggles the mind that they have such support from the people that abhor elitism.

3 Likes

You missed the sarcasm.

Heā€™s got some balls asking for an investigation hasnā€™t he?

ā€œIā€™m asking for an investigation into who leaked the fact that my family has been scamming the UK tax system for several yearsā€

Itā€™s just like Rees-Mogg stating that they should investigate the rules that were in place rather than the fact that a load of them were caught partying when they put laws in place to say we shouldnā€™t be.

Thereā€™s a Scooby Doo gif for this but I canā€™t find it.

2 Likes

They are a married couple claiming their primary residences are separate continents. Itā€™s transparently a tax diddle, dishonest, and regardless of whether itā€™s legal or not, it fucking stinks.

Itā€™s also Sunakā€™s job to protect the treasuryā€™s income from this kind of tax dodging.

Remember, whenever you hear anyone saying ā€œitā€™s not technically illegalā€, what the actually mean is ā€œthere is a loophole that can be exploited and the people who can close it have a vested interest in keeping it openā€.

1 Like

This is nothing to do with residence though. This is about domicile. Her permanent home. If my wife and I were renting in the UK, our domiciles would be France and Australia respectively even though we have both lived in the UK for 14 years.

Is it possible Akshata Murty owns property in India? I would find it hard for her to make a case of Indian domicile if she only owns property outside of India. Although still possible, It would mean she must spend a lot of time living in India for her to make that claim.

I fully agree that itā€™s a tax dodge though Sheā€™s in a position where she could claim multiple domiciles, and a good tax adviser can help her tip the scales on whichever benefits her the most financially. Not a nice look from the UK chancellorā€™s wife.

1 Like

Call me old fashioned, but I think when you are married youā€™re making a commitment that you are domiciled in at least the same country.

From what I have read the family has 4 homes. 3 in the UK and one on the US.

Apparently when in India she stays at one of her parents homes.

1 Like
3 Likes

For me the point here is that this was a tax loophole that the Tories rightly tried to close but didnā€™t. Rishi comes in as Chancellor and still decides (I assume he made a conscious decision not to) not to close it again because his family can benefit from it.

Thatā€™s just simple dishonesty when related to the position he holds in government.

I wouldnā€™t rush to conclude that a conscious decision has been made here. He has been Chancellor for 2-3 years in which much of the parliamentary space has been taken up by Brexit and Pandemic related bills and discussions. Much of his attention has probably been on those along with the levelling up agenda.

That is 100% fair until you see the video posted by @ISMF.

Questions need to be answered.

1 Like

That is only partly correct. In the UK, you must decide after 8 (I think, but might be wrong in the time limit) years. But considering she is living in a fully funded Government house, I think that throws out any domicile laws, and she should be paying full tax on everything whilst she is being housed by the British Public - as should all partners/kids of MPā€™s if they are living in housing that is provided by the State.

1 Like

Thanks Aussielad. I didnā€™t know that.

So 30 new fines on top of the 20 already issued. Not looking good for BoJo the clown or the torries

Even worse is the fact that someone would even try to defend him

Well Johnson and Sunak to be fined over the lockdown partiesā€¦

Resignation when?

EDIT:

1 Like

Nop way either can remain in their jobs now.

The scary thing, is who will be next PM? I hope to fuck itā€™s not Preti Fascist Patel

Sunakā€™s wife for being clever enough to scam the UK tax system. :rofl: