UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

There’s loads of weird medieval stuff that people do in the UK that other countries don’t bother with, like beefeaters, black rod or the royal family.

2 Likes

Yes, but you also have to scratch a little to look at where those gains have been made. Labour have won both Wandsworth and Westminster which are traditionally very strong Tory councils. Westminster having been tory since it’s inception in the 50’s and Wandsworth having been held by the tories since the 70’s

2 Likes

We have one too, noting wrong with that, I like tradition.

The Tories are going to spend the next twenty years telling voters that the Labour Party is going to immediately reverse Brexit upon taking office. And it will probably land as well

I’m reading the Tories are thinking seriously thinking about a snap election, giving credence to my theory that we’re in for the mother of all shitstorms, and they’d rather it hit while they were in opposition and can blame it on Labour.

1 Like

The political landscape in the UK has changed dramatically:

• Labour and the Tories are neck and neck in Worthing. Two gains for Labour would be enough for outright control for the first time ever.
  • Labour has held the council in Bury for over a decade but their majority has become precarious.

All I’m seeing is the people who don’t normally vote Tory but did to ‘get brexit done’ are returning to their normal party, plus a small percentage of people annoyed by Bojo defecting to Lib Dems or the Green Party.

Still no sign of the young voters that Labour have been couting on for the last 3 elections to reach voting age and make the difference for them.

Easy to blame 10+ years of Tory government but I’m struggling to see how labour have enough of a voice to get that message across.

That’s been one of their problems for the last 5-6 years, maybe longer.

It’s difficult for those who seek change to have a voice when the vast majority of the media is owned by those who want to maintain the status quo.

3 Likes

The commentary I’ve read suggests that it’s mostly Conservative voters staying home, but the 2019 Conservatives aren’t going back to their usual party…

Perhaps it’s too soon to draw any conclusions.

2 Likes

All the fault of the media don’t you know.

1 Like

They don’t help. If you are inclined to believe that the Daily Express and Telegraph are serious papers then we’re in real trouble.

Unfortunately our very own PM is one of them.

3 Likes

As I’ve posted before, it amazes me that newspapers and magazines still exist in their printed form.

Didn’t the 2022 Northern Ireland Assembly election take place on the same day?

1 Like

Some reports saying Lord Frost is being maneuvered into position to challenge BoJo at some future point

These are local elections. I think they generally have lower turnouts?

I don’t see it. A snap election would be for Johnson to re-establish his control. I don’t see it being done to deliberately cede power to Labour. The problems we are facing can be mitigated by Government spending.

Isn’t Lord Frost a Game of Thrones character?

2 Likes

The UK version is far less cunning than anything in Game of Thrones. Not sure the UK version can actually read

2 Likes

Boris, you had a simple job. Don’t act like a cunt over lockdown and stay in power for the foreseeable future.

Epic fail.

Keir, take advantage of the worst government managed by the greatest clown of an MP in history.

Epic fail.

Lib dems, can I have next week’s lottery numbers please?