UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

It’s behind a paywall and I’m not a Telegraph reader but I recon number 10 does not agree with Klopp. :grinning:

1 Like

All politics is about coalition building, negotiation and compromise. This black/white, right/wrong, yes/no view is not at all helpful in the real world.

1 Like

Agree but tbf it is less pronounced with FPTP.

1 Like

How? The UK system is extremely adversarial. Even the House of Commons reflects that.
The UK has had a two party system for the vast majority of its history.

1 Like

Coalition building is practically essential under a PR type of electoral system, much less so under FPTP.

3 Likes
2 Likes

But the parties themselves are coalitions. For example, the tories are a mixture of free marketeers, social conservatives, nationalists, rural traditionalists, urban business interests etc.

2 Likes

Freed link: archive.ph

And cunts.

1 Like

In all seriousness, coalition is nothing to be afraid of.

The argument for FPTP has always been that it avoids coalition, and delivers strong Governments.

Personally I don’t believe that giving a party absolute power on a minority of the vote should be seen as a positive.

Plenty of countries around the world do perfectly well in perpetual coalition. If people are afraid of compromise, or working with people they don’t naturally agree with, or that they might have to cooperate and find common ground with others, then frankly I don’t think they should be in politics.

2 Likes

Do you want to own a gun? You can’t have one then. Same with being an MP.

1 Like

So what is your thoughts on Clegg compromising on student tuition fees to get into power with Cameron?

Got fuck all in return. Cameron absolutely wiped the floor with him, and I don’t particularly rate Cameron.

1 Like

Don’t mistake surrender for compromise. They aren’t the same thing.

2 Likes

Sort of amazed to see no discussion of Truss’ announcement that she wants to see the UK walk away from the Northern Ireland protocol.

Politically, probably the right time to try it, because France and Germany are isolated in the EU over Ukraine in an absolutely unprecedented way.

I’m sure she’ll read them at some point.

1 Like

The government have been announcing their intention to do that for the last month or two…

Right, but this seems to be formalizing it to some level.

2 Likes

For much longer, surely? Isn’t this the whole breaking international law in only a limited and specific way that got everyone exercised about 18 months ago?

1 Like

My immediate read was it was the same idea, but re-introduced now that Ireland is no longer one of the cool kids in the EU, and much of the EU is now much more concerned with NATO unity.

Too cynical of a take?

1 Like