UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Looking at the candidate it’s odds on

1 Like

I didn’t consider testing to include the failure to ring fence care homes that Hancock lied about having done.

What’s so positive about how he’s approached Ukraine? You can’t be serious.

Vaccines? Again you can’t be serious. We were world leading not only in roll out but also in supplying them at cost all around the world. Unrelated to Johnson but we also led the world in genomic sequencing.

How many Tory MP’s are likely to jump ship in tonight’s vote ?

Place yer bets !

I’m going for between 100 -120.

1 Like

Likely <100

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that an alternative PM who wasn’t a corrupt, self-serving, narcissistic, sociopathic, lazy, serial liar might have done a bit better.

3 Likes

Of course, in some respects they would have done.

80>100

The penetration level in the UK ended up being mediocre, however, and I would attribute that to mixed government messaging - so a positive, perhaps, but not an emphatic one.

1 Like

When is the result expected to be available?

9pm ish (just over an hour)

After the indepenant inquiry led by the PM. :crazy_face:

Vaccine programme, in my opinion was a gamble. Unoquivocally the right decision to appoint Kate Bingham but I believe they gambled on pushing for a vaccine in lieu of actively managing the pandemic. .

It’s a personal theory.

With regard to managing that pandemic I’d say it was poor overall. Deaths are simply too high but what is an acceptable number? I don’t know but for me and while this is only partly aimed at Johnson, when you have a situation like that, you need a large and engaged government. Johnson and his government are weak and following the small government mantra they couldn’t manage shit.

RE your thoughts earlier on whether we should have a GE after a vote of no confidence, I’m torn on it. As you say the rules are that we elect a party. It’s just that, in my opinion the party we elected is a shambles. I want them all gone but rules are rules I guess.

3 Likes

His government’s original idea was to let the pandemic rip and bank on herd immunity. Luckily the folly of that decision was soon recognised but they were still slower than the Europeans to go for lockdowns and that resulted in a far higher death rate during the first wave.

Yes you’re right but they were then slow at every turn and decision point other than looking at vaccines. They were also very quick to run to the private sector rather than looking at existing expertise and supplementing this as required.

As far as I’m concerned , their greatest success during the pandemic was to funnel billions of pounds of tax-payers’ money into the hands of their pals , with little or no public scrutiny. That is still probably the greatest scandal of Johnson’s premiership.

6 Likes

Little argument although Cameron managed to do it equally well, if not better without a pandemic.

Also worth noting that if you were a government that was hell bent on doing as little as possible during a pandemic your strategy would be herd immunity.

People saying around 100…is that a prediction of how many times the shaggy blonde cunt will say ‘I have listened’ in the next twelve hours after he wins tonight?

1 Like

Fancy some buzzword bingo? Or a “sorry” sweepstake?

1 Like

‘Getting on with the job.’

Johnson standing at a lectern in 2019 in front of a big sign that says ‘The People’s Government’…

Chortle.