UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

An elected official is meant to represent all people but you can only really claim actual support for those who voted for them (and the NI electoral system is a bit complicated on that front). In terms of NI politics I find the growth in support for the Alliance Party to be more intriguing.

3 Likes

They are only still associated with the IRA in the minds of hard-line Unionists and those who refuse to let go of the past. Most people have moved beyond that. They were even happy enough to have McGuinness as Deputy to Paisley , and that was five years ago now.

Those demographic changes are already well underway and a referendum some time in the not too distant future seems almost an inevitability.

2 Likes

And your basis for this claim isā€¦?

A catholic majority.

1 Like

:rofl:

Firstly, there isnā€™t a Catholic majority and secondly not all Catholics want a united Ireland.

1 Like

Yes there is. 'Catholic majority possible' in NI by 2021

Thatā€™s why I said broadly.

P.S. Your use of emojis and memes to try and belittle people is both puerile and embarrassing.

You constantly saying stuff thatā€™s wrong is more embarrassing.

About 93% of the Northern Irish population identifies as Christian, 1% is non-Christian and 6% is not religious. Protestants account for 48% of the population while Catholics account for 45%. The Roman Catholic Church is the single largest church in the country although there are more Protestants overall.

Your data is three years out of date.

Your article

It was a forecast. Did that bit escape you ?

Another of your sources

Is a 4 yr old article more up to date than a 3 yr old one?

I tend to work chronologically

So you donā€™t understand the concept of a forecast.

Here , let me explain for you ; Several forecasts predicted a catholic majority in NI by 2021. It is now June 2022 , so most likely we now have a catholic majority.

Which makes my claim correct and your laughing emoji fatuous.

No, it doesnā€™t.

Forecasts need to actually come true and thereā€™s no evidence that thereā€™s currently either a Catholic majority in NI or a majority in NI in favour of a united Ireland.

It makes the premise of your claim both flawed and speculative.

So my claim , based on several respected forecasts , and a general consensus , is somehow unsound because you say so.

ok dude.

Do you have actual data? Because the data I provided, which was more current than your forecasts, contradicted your claim.

2 Likes

Are either of you from NI?

Iā€™m not.

There was a census last year. Results on religious demographics will be released this autumn. However, a border poll is far more complex than basic religious headcount. There are Catholics who donā€™t want united ireland, Protestants that do, and an increasing number that donā€™t identify as either. A border poll still feels a long way off, but the DUPā€™s support for Brexit and Tory negligence has definitely brought this closer. Ripping up the protocol and a hard border will set the wheels in motion.

Ultimately, most people would probably prefer the status quo than any threat of a return to conflict. Almost everyone of my generation and older knows and/or saw people being killed. Thatā€™s what is on the line, not that the Tories give a shit

12 Likes
2 Likes

100% agree with everything you say.

I personally feel that a united Ireland is inevitable with the North maintaining a certain level of autonomy.

Almost a devolved part of Ireland rather than a devolved part of the UK.

4 Likes