UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

This sums it up

5 Likes

Maybe. There needs to be a lot of groundwork done before hand, but Sinn Fein would jump without thinking, just as DUP did for Brexit. Ironically, just as the DUP have done more than anyone to progress a united ireland, SF are probably the biggest impediment to it being accepted across the communities, as they continue to celebrate murderers and romanticise the conflict

4 Likes

Agree. I donā€™t think itā€™s imminent by any means but I do think itā€™s the direction of travel. Maybe 10-15 years down the line the circumstances may justify a border poll.

And the inescapable irony is that the Conservative and Unionist Party , convulsed with its Brexit wet dreams , has done more to hasten a united Ireland (or at least the prospect of one through a referendum) than any other political , or paramilitary , organisation ever did.

P.S. Iā€™m originally from North Wales.

3 Likes

It depends what happens post Brexit. If the UK emerges as a shining example of economic success as promised, most in NI will be happy to remain part of it.
For all the songs, slogans and marching bands, most people will be swayed by economic factors, and a united Ireland will be a route back into the EU rather than a marriage to papacy.

4 Likes

The ultimate answer is a united Ireland, bygones and all that. Iā€™ve not been to Belfast for about 20 years but did spend the best part of a year there. If public opinion has changed to the point where unification is a possibility in that time, Iā€™m stunned but very happy for it.

" The decision by the European court of human rights ā€“ not an EU body, but an international guarantor of human rights that the UK helped to found in 1950 ā€“ in the case of [one 54-year-old Iraqi man] a victim of torture, provided grounds for the remaining six to appeal for their removal orders to be scrapped.

Amid jubilation from campaigners and recrimination over the role of the court, which interprets the European convention on human rights, Priti Patel blames the failure of her policy on ā€œlegal challenge and last-minute claimsā€. She says ā€œpreparation for the next flight begins nowā€. Earlier, Johnson hints that the UK could leave the convention. A judicial review of the legality of the Rwanda policy is due to be heard by the high court in July."

Letā€™s just get these clowns out of office before they can do any more damage.

2 Likes

Deterring dangerous illegal channel crossings is definitely appropriate but not with unlawful externalization.

Interesting polling.

I was talking to someone (Catholic) from Omagh in Dublin, who believed it was very likely that the pace of migration south had increased considerably since 2016 - she has been in Dublin for 20+ years, but had the sense that a lot more northern Catholics were taking advantage of their dual status. So that may defer the demographic aspect of the border poll for some time.

1 Like

They canā€™t have seriously expected that plane to fly.

The aim was always

• promote the idea of a ā€˜hostile environmentā€™ for asylum and deter attempts to enter the country.

• provide ammunition to attack the ECHR

2 Likes

Ha, it depends which part of Belfast you were staying in!

1 Like

Youā€™d be surprised how many from the south have moved north, due to (perceived) better economic opportunities and the NHS (though that is changing rapidly).

Many of us have British and Irish passports, so have dual status in many respects.

As @Kopstar says it will be an economic decision for most of us, i.e. how will our kids have the best chance of a peaceful and prosperous future. The Irish economy is a mess too. House prices in Dublin as bad as London. Ultimately could be determined by how much the Tories fuck things up and the impending recession.

EDIT: Of course there are a large number of people that will definitely vote one way or the other in a border poll. Iā€™m talking about those in the middle who could be swayed either way, and whose votes will ultimately make the difference

4 Likes

Travelled all round to different areas (although working mainly in Carrickfergus) so met people from all sides. Could tell some storiesā€¦ā€¦.

The polling is definitely interesting, and it definitely bears out the patterns weā€™ve seen in repeated polls over the years in some form or another, particularly with regards to age, political lean, and geography.

I certainly do think that the geographical realignment politically that weā€™ve seen since the EU referendum is here to stay. Not sure what Labourā€™s chances of ā€œwinning back the northā€ in the sense of outperforming the national average swing are.

1 Like

As much as that is my viewpoint I canā€™t take the credit for voicing that opinion in this discussion, which I think was @Bekloppt

Thereā€™ll never be public opinion for a UI in Carrick!

I think there is probably more support for a United Ireland in London than in Carrickfergus, and quite likely a higher percentage of Catholic Irish.

Which is ironic as we had to move broken pint glasses from under the tyres of the van (GB plates) most mornings. Was a most illuminating experience.

1 Like

There seems to be a few undercurrents to this oneā€¦

Why did he leave being the Queenā€™s private sec? ā†’ Calculated move for job security - sheā€™s no spring chickenā€¦
Why then did he pick Bo? ā†’ Money - he surely didnā€™t take the job from a moral/ethical/political stand pointā€¦
Why did he quit? ā†’ Loyalty or integrity or both? (Edit - not long left???)
Who is next? Truss or Rabb?