UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

:see_no_evil:

1 Like

The guy is a lunatic. I just donā€™t get him. At all. How can the guy believing in pixies and fairy dust ever have led the Labour party? Heā€™s so naive he thinks there is a choice when you are defending against an aggressor and that your country is not just a stepping stone to another. Is he a descendent of Neville Chamberlain?

The more time goes on, the more I detest him.

4 Likes

I saw this earlier and simply dont understand his logic. Basically letting Russia run over Ukraine achieves nothing.

1 Like

Waiting for replies repeating the claim heā€™s not a Putin appeaserā€¦

1 Like

Difficult case to defend mā€™lud

Oh no. I think heā€™s way off on this one.

Although I do sort of think I know where heā€™s coming from. He thinks there should be a negotiated peace brokered by the UN and other federations of nations.

Heā€™s wrong though. The reality is that this isnā€™t going to happen. Putin has made it clear that isnā€™t a path heā€™ll take. I think what Corbyn is going is allowing his idealism to override realism.

I donā€™t know if that makes him a ā€˜Putin Sympathiserā€™ or a misguided idealist.

Did anyone actually read the article? Which of his words here do people disagree with?

• Pouring arms into the country isnā€™t going to bring about a solution.
  • World leaders (and media) only speak the language of war, not peace.
  • UN, African Union, and every other body should be trying to negotiate a ceasefire.
3 Likes

I did but Iā€™d argue that you need to buy the time to negotiate. That doesnā€™t happen with Putin running riot across the country.

Just stepping back leaves you nothing to negotiate with. Plus the aim is that Russia leaves Ukraine.

2 Likes

Not disagreeing with that, but Iā€™d also argue that thereā€™s thereā€™s plenty out there that are in no rush to end the war. Look how Boris milked it. Energy companies, arms manufacturers, spread betters etc are doing quite nicely out of the misery in Ukraine

1 Like

Yeah. Ultimately talks are the only way this ends I think, but it doesnā€™t feel like weā€™re at that point yet.

Not sure The Peopleā€™s front of Judea approach of a leaflet campaign quite cuts the cake.

I disagree with the first and the third points.

Look how well the previous ceasefire turned out. What happens next, what does Ukraine give to Putin for his 2025 invasion? His 2027 invasion?

This is how he wins.

1 Like

That doesnā€™t mean we enable compounding of the misery by letting Putin enact genocide.

2 Likes

This problem with Corbyns logic is that Russias war is one of expansion.

Russia wanted to expand its territories and it wants to Ukraine to be a puppet state. All that Ukraine wants is to remain a peaceful sovereign nation.

Itā€™s all very well promoting peace. But peace is not the solution itā€™s simply the outcome. Whatā€™s Corbyns proposal instead ?

The ugly truth is the only way peace will be achieved using Corbyns logic is the equivalent of paying a mobster protection money. After being threatened giving the thug land, or giving in to his threats around control (So he does not take everything)

5 Likes

I did but he is somewhat selective in what he is criticising. He is still involved in the ā€œStop The War Coalitionā€ who I think were laudable in their opposition to an ill conceived war in Iraq and perpetual mission creep elsewhere. However, they themselves have suffered from mission creep; from opposing a war of aggression by a major power on smaller nations (when it was US led) to tacit support when exactly the same happens involving a country not aligned to the US. They donā€™t even seem to be offering an alternative to wanton aggression. Itā€™s an interesting move from pacifists to tankies.

The only thing I would say about Corbyn is that he is personally a true pacifist in the purest sense. Very much in the style of the ā€œturn the other cheekā€ non-confrontational pacifism of the Quakers amongst others. A fully functioning parliament needs those voices amongst the armchair generals but it is exactly his complete lack of Realpolitik that makes him unsuitable as a leader.

3 Likes

Fair enough. I supported them during Iraq war and before Afghan, but havenā€™t followed them since.

You may be right here, though Brexit meant we never had a chance to find out. I respect him for sticking to his principles though, rather than dropping them in the pursuit of power

1 Like

Personally, Iā€™ve lived through conflict. Heard my home town bombed while I lay in bed. Witnessed police offices have their heads blown off. My 2 closest friends both had their fathers murdered when they were children.

Iā€™ve also worked in war zones like the DRC and in occupied territories like Palestine.

War begats war begats war. We could do with more pacifists in society and in politics.

I would add that most people in the UK are completely blind to Britainā€™s history as aggressors and colonists that has caused misery around the world. Because itā€™s completely whitewashed in the British education system. Iā€™ve been a teacher of this curriculum and worked in the system for 20 years, and am certain of this

8 Likes

Fucking moron is closer to the truth.

1 Like

Theyā€™re both terrible.

2 Likes

Yes, it says so in the article later on. The whole point about the article is how the two braindead candidates vying to appeal to the braindead Tory core are killing the rest of us with their proposed policies.

1 Like