UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

The chain of stupid from article to headline to tweet is unfathomable.

The headline and the drift of the article is trying to portray lockdowns as the cause of excess deaths not directly linked to coronavirus recently.

As opposed to the lack of funding for the NHS leading to the lack of capacity when we needed it, leading people to be turned away for treatment.

What happened to the requirement of basic critical thinking abilities for journalists?

5 Likes

Yeah, but it wasn’t all bad. Probably the closest we’ve been to a centrist government in my time on this planet, during the first years at least. There were some good things back then, such as NHS investment was at its peak for example. Some ropey stuff including the ongoing privatisation of the NHS etc. And of course lets not get into discussions about our PM at that time. Economy was pretty steady too.

Now, I find myself in a position where I’m worried at what my electricity and fuel bill will look like in two months time and probably having to look at helping my mother out on that side too. And we basically have no government because we’ve got a squatter in No. 10. And of course that was entirely predictable but we did it anyway.

1 Like

They’ve been bought out and given a very loud voice and platform from which to spout their garbage. If only we could turn gaslighting into electricity we’d be fine.

I can’t believe this 18th century waste of human form is still a minister. I have to change the tv channel whenever he comes on.

I never thought I would want to do this, we need to protest, have a national strike, stop paying our energy bills. Do sits in outside government offices all over the country. Get all the people from the effected industries, like the farmers, the fisheries, all the other small businesses effected to join the public in an unionised strike.

Waiting another 2 years for a general election seems like such a long way off. This government will further damage the country, if Truss gets in. It will take decades to reverse the damage. I feel sorry for the youngsters in this country.

We are such a passive people in terms of protesting, we complain, but we never doing anything about it. My New Zealand colleague observed this and he has lived here 30 years

6 Likes

Which is exactly why this government has weakened protesters’ rights.

1 Like

The only notable increase in excess deaths that I have heard directly related to lockdowns is alcohol related deaths. This has been noted in multiple countries.

There may be others but to determine that you would need a control sample.

The worrying thing about that article is (if it is remotely correct) that increases in deaths from cardiovascular related issues is precisely what you would be expecting in a population that has been exposed to Covid in the first place.

1 Like

If millions protest, they can’t arrest everyone, with their underfunded police service. If people are feeling their civil and human rights are being eroded, the government can’t silence them. There are other means through media as well.
This government are already trying to stir up division in Scotland. The majority of the Scots will be out on the streets. There is nothing this government will be able to do about it.

1 Like

The only thing I saw in that screenshot was about excess deaths related to missed treatments for cancer, I must go back and read it again.

This is my big worry

1 Like

They’ll win the next general election anyway. If they have to they will start a war against France to get past the post!

P.S which makes you wonder where the real problem lies.

2 Likes

I could see this along with other issues such as delayed operations, transplants and the like. So much “regular NHS service” was delayed due to covid which is both correct but also down to an under resourced service. There simply wasn’t enough people in the NHS to deal with both.

But we must remember that Covid hasn’t really killed that many people. They all died from existing conditions and the excess deaths is down to “other reasons” if you believe this lot.

They’d be the first to scream if they suddenly fell ill and had to wait 4hrs for an ambulance.

Please Flobs, don’t make me more depressed than I already am :disappointed:

Nearly everyone I speak to is fed up with this government. They feel like leaving the UK, but they are stuck with jobs, kids, mortgages. Their income seems to be shrinking every month. The youngsters in my family starting university want to work abroad after their studies. The brain drain has already started. So many good scientists have left the UK in the last two years and sought jobs in the EU and other places like places like Australia and North America

2 Likes

Yeah. If Rees-Mogg has his way there will be the UK will consist of ruling class and serfs.

You mean it doesn’t already?

2 Likes

Yeah we’re not wearing hessian yet.

1 Like

I just saw this. :frowning_face: I am disappointed with his answer here.

1 Like

I don’t agree on this point but at least he is articulate and knowledgeable

3 Likes

I think what is key here is what packages is he is talking about. EU rules do not look to stop nationalisation or Privatisation - the issue is about whether they then are treated by the state in a way that goes against state aid rules.

When Corbyn was making this same argument previously, I’m sure representatives from the EU and trade experts in the UK said it was incorrect (although I can’t remember whether that took into account what ever package Mick Lynch is referring to.

2 Likes

I’m fascinated by this. There’s a Brexiteer at work that uses this argument as one of his reasons for voting to leave.

I’d love to counter him on it.