UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

1 Like

The more I read about Liz Truss, the more I think she more dangerous than Sunak. I thought she was a moderate Conservative. Then, I read, she started off a Social Democrat. She is more far right than Boris was. The ordinary people are definitely disgruntled, even the ones with decent incomes are unhappy with the current state of affairs.

With regards to the union, does she have the power to get rid of them? I am not sure. The general public are seem to be on the side of the trade unions as are speaking out about our problem with the high cost of living, high inflation and soaring energy bills.

Then Sunak comes out with this. He is just as bad, He will have a hard job then on the media platform, the public geniuses in ridiculing the politicians and the state of the country.

It really is amazing how the British Left seems to have completely forgotten the 1970’s, and what produced Thatcher.

2 Likes

Are you trying to link the minimum wage to the rise of Thatcher?
What evidence is there for that?

1 Like

Yep.

You should never go full Truss.

mad people GIF

2 Likes

No, the chasing inflation with wage increases was a broader phenomenon, and really the minimum wage is a rather different thing from the living wage your article discusses. As far as I recall, the UK didn’t actually have a minimum wage in the 1970’s(?), and even if it had had one, increases at the bottom of the pay scale were at best a small factor in how the UK lost control of inflation in the 1970’s.

What I am saying is that the failure to address inflation effectively led into a cycle of labour disruption, wage hikes in more powerful sectors first, which then produced the radicalization that Thatcher represented. Much as she was hated, I fear in the current populist era her analogue would be something far darker.

3 Likes

What a middle class explosion (at the expense of working class) and a wish to go beck to victorian time?
I think the conditions are very different, bashing unions is an english sport now!

The Telegraph.

This is the mess you get in a one party mini state who feel they don’t need to be answerable to the electorate who will largely vote for them anyway.

Riddled with nepotism (choosing my word carefully there), rank incompetence and worse.

2 Likes

TONY BLAIR PM is an anagram of I’M TORY PLAN B. :thinking::nerd_face:

Still better than tory plan A :wink:

1 Like

More likely Rupert Murdoch and the rag that shall not be named…

I didn’t think there was a plan under Boris except “pay me money”

A middle class explosion would be about as benign a possibility as I can imagine. With the levels of income inequality that have developed across most of the West, that would be far more positive than the scenarios I can see unfolding. That seems wildly improbable. British democracy seems to be in a shaky state right now, and populism has a startling ability to work with a counterfactual feedback loop in the face of difficulties.

People seem to forget how popular Thatcher’s crushing of NUM actually was at the time, union-bashing probably became an English sport about then - although that itself traces to the conduct of unions like NUM during the 1970’s.

2 Likes

Yes which is why trying to make comparisons to the '70s is just nuts. There’s nothing similar, in fact it’s the complete opposite.

Yep, the french.

Actually, there is a great deal of similarity, especially around the macroeconomics - the mid-70s stagflation is the closest we have to the current situation. Then as now, the old economic models really were not adequate to understand what was happening. That said, there are some major differences as well.

1 Like

Granny used to say that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Money, sex, power etc,

Sure, she had them all :wink:

1 Like