UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Yougov poll yesterday that put Labour ahead by 15pts…

1 Like

Starmer’s cautious approach working? Or just because Truss is so obviously horrific?

Can’t warm to Kier at all but anything would be better than 5 more years of Tory rule

2 Likes

I think it is working:

If you look at voting intention Labour are 7% higher than the Tories. That higher than they have been for years (before this graph starts). The government has been undoubtedly terrible/corrupt/incompetent beforehand.

When Starmer assumed office Labour were at 29% (Tories at 51%, Lib dems at 7%, SNP and Greens at 4%). Today Labour are at 40% (Tories at 33%, Lib Dems at 12%, Greens at 5% and SNP at 4%).

So thats a
+11% Swing to Labour
-18% Swing for Torries
+5% Swing for Lib dems
+1% Sing for Greens
0% Swing SNP

When you consider 2 years ago nearly 20% would have voted lib dem, and a similar nearly 5 years ago would have voted for Brexit party. It seems a positive trend. Not simply due to Truss.

2 Likes

I think it’s complex. Labour are losing support from the more left leaning side and probably their more traditional working class. If there is such a thing now. There’s also their brexit losses. If Starmer were able to recapture that their lead could be massive, mainly at the expense of the Tories.

I think our political landscape is changing but I can’t quite figure out whether it’s the parties that are changing or if it’s the voting population.

1 Like

Who the fuck are these numpties invited to This Morning Live? One journalist goes energy companies aren’t profiting from the price hikes (they demonstrably are). Another bloke blames it all on green energy policy (which we clearly need to do or the planet is toast, it probably already is anyway).

1 Like

They’re the ones handsomely remunerated to push the neoliberal agenda to the braindead idiots who simply accept what programmes such as This Morning tell them as fact.

Good job that you’re capable of independent thought; many people simply are not.

3 Likes

I had to switch channels because I genuinely felt like slapping a couple of them

2 Likes

Any names?

Ugh forgot, one was a journalist and the other one not sure where he’s from. They don’t seem to list them on the BBC website either

The best thing Starmer has done is timed his leadership campaign with an endless stream of major Tory fuck ups.

It’s hard to imagine how bad he’d have to be for Labour not to have seen a massive swing in the votes. He’s done very little that deserves praise.

2 Likes

I’d imagine the kind of people who This Morning Live watchers like?

Then it can only be toffs looking down on the rest

Daytime tv, not designed for those who work and think.

3 Likes

Very much the case. Given the nature of modern TV it’s likely to also being aimed at an older and/or less sophisticated demographic.

1 Like

He’s insulting you, not me :rofl:

Or perhaps selected guests that would fit a gaslighting agenda?

Precious little of that to light, let alone make a pun…

1 Like

Or have the Tories been using it all up while tricking us?

Hard to imagine that so much gas can be used up, especially considering how much gas can be made from horse faeces - and as there’s a seemingly endless supply coming out of their mouths is Christmas going to be saved???

1 Like

WTF?!?