UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Though not as much of a clown.

1 Like

You can’t lawfully evict someone without a court order so yes, the reasons for seeking possession of the property are subject to judicial scrutiny.

1 Like

The @cynicaloldgit in me would suggest that this is deliberately timed as part of Operation Save Big Dog and the by-elections

1 Like

possible that the whole point of trying to discourage property owners from being landlords, it to try and stop people from making a business of owning multiple homes for income purposes and make it easier for others to buy them?

that’s a big issue here, affluent investors are treating homes like income generators and driving the prices up. near impossible for anyone making less than $150k/year to buy a home in this entire metropolitan area. you simply cannot find a home under a million dollars, even 90min from downtown Vancouver. foreign investment has completely fucked the market here. 2003, I had a 3bed home for $213k.

in public life

Well how much a a trainwreck must his personal life be?

That is easily delt with though.

25% tax on purchasing a 2nd property with an additional 5% for each property after that. Give a 4-6 week grace period if buying 1 property and selling another where buy the tax is exempt, but if you stockpile properties, then you get taxed through the arse. And you apply those taxes whether it is bought in individual or company name.

sure is, unless your government officials are in the pocket of said investors. Our government here is a fucking joke.

so much the same as uk government

The problem is not generated by people with a 2nd or 3rd property but by the big institutional investors /groups ,cuckoo funds buy who up an entire block of apartments or entire housing estates ,directly from the developer before they ever hit the open market.
Nobody can compete with these hedge funds who pay what they want as they plan on renting out properties for a long period ,thus also controlling the rental market .

Equally, it’s why new homes and apartments get built in the first place. If there wasn’t the profit in it that there is, there would be far fewer new builds.

Around me it’s amazing how many new properties have been built in the last few years and are continuing to be built. Furthermore, adding housing stock is obviously also a limiting factor on house price inflation.

I’d like to see more high st retail spaces that have become vacant due to the pandemic and increased online shopping be transformed into social housing. It’s heartbreaking to see homeless people sleeping outside a closed down retail unit.

Open that place up, put beds and sanitation in there, install a kitchen area, provide free wi-fi and PCs, arrange for GPs to visit on a weekly basis, same for counselling services and careers advisors. Arrange for access to CAB representatives. Provide everyone with half an hour of free weekly phone calls to anywhere in the world. Get supermarkets and local restaurants to donate food that would otherwise be thrown away. Teach healthy eating skills. Provide an exercise area.

It’s so simple and would be relatively inexpensive to initiate whilst actually improving public finances almost immediately.

1 Like

What a farce.

1 Like
1 Like

Gees. Couldn’t even wait for Monday with the latest Johnson scandal.

But he got the big decisions right. :roll_eyes:

Is Boris still going by big dog? I thought that had been put down and now it was ‘World Statesman, War Leader’ the WhatsApp and Zoom Churchill. ‘All I have to offer is (your) blood, sweat and tears’?

8 Likes

Excellent

If that becomes a Labour policy it will certainly attract my vote.

2 Likes

I wonder how much of a vote winner it is across the broader electorate. I always get the impression that the majority of people when hearing of PR just think of examples like the Italian system and so prefer to stick to the FPTP model.

Whenever these more ‘existential’ issues come up there is always a massive failure to educate/explain the different issues. It was true with Brexit, with the majority of the electorate having no clue about the specifics and instead voting on emotion (the ‘safe’ option of a perceived ‘status quo’ or the ‘carpe diem’ option of plotting our own course - I am deliberately simplifying here).

If this is to be put back before the electorate, politics needs to do a much better job of explaining the issue than it did 11 years ago. Perhaps there needs to be a two pronged approach whereby a first referendum is simply “Do you want to keep FPTP or do you want an alternative electoral method?”

If the answer is for the alternative then have a 2nd referendum offering several options that voters would need to rank in preference, including FPTP so that those in favour of this system are not disenfranchised. This is, after all, the whole point.

I voted for the Alternative Vote system last time even though that may not actually be the best system when it comes to Proportional Representation. But it was (and is) a whole lot better than FPTP.

1 Like