UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

1 Like

These are very scary and grim times. I take every news item on the BBC with a pinch of salt for the last few years. I hardly watch BBC news now.

3 Likes

and @Klopptimist :rofl:

3 Likes

Compared to those two “news” shites(sic) they are left wing and woke.

And me with the suffix “as fuck”

Beat me to it. The BBC is further left than Karl Marx.

Tbf, a hard-right Leaver like @Klopptimist probably does see centre-right media like BBC as not representative of their personal ideology. Not “Express-y” enough.

1 Like

Next year, I am going to refuse to pay my BBC TV licence.

The end is near, what am i going to do without my local fish and chip shop. They are the best in West London.

1 Like

They only ever talk about lefty nonsense, you must see this? Right? Right?

No, they don’t. They present a politically centrist and fairly objective lens on news. Their political editor, that Brexit woman, Laura Kuenssberg , has clearly a conservative slant (not that she does anything grievously wrong, but her twittter stream and interview’s under Brexit and how she dealt with Brexit was eye opening).

1 Like

Can anyone enlighten me regarding the system of voting for the new Prime Minister.
I understand that leadership votes can be cast electronically from the comfort of your mock Tudor mansion.
Whereas if you are being polled as a member of a Union, this technological advancement is denied and all voting on strike action must be done by physical post.

For the leadership contest I understand that it is a first past the post system - for Union strike action thresholds have to be calculated and met.

I am sure Rishi or Liz will sort this when they get into power as part of the “levelling up” policy.

4 Likes

‘I am sure Rishi or Liz will sort this when they get into power as part of the “levelling up” policy’

@BigJon BigJon trust me, we are all literally in deep sh*t, not just metaphorically. We have the two most unsuitable and indept candidates who will be PM and God helps next week! :disappointed:

3 Likes

Basically it’s a knock out system. Conservative party members vote on a number candidates that volunteered and then given support from the party. They then go through a number of rounds knocking out the loser(s) until you get a winner.

No one gets a say in it unless you’re a member of the Tory party. Basically a teeny proportion of the UK population chooses the next leader of the conservative party who then becomes PM

Great innit?

Worth noting that if Labour were in power and having to choose a new leader their system would be different

First past the post is our general election system for choosing the ruling party.

1 Like

Whereas labour and the way they vote for a leader is so open and fair,I mean it’s not as though the unions hold sway most of the time of who gets into power, and also don’t only labour members get a say on the leader ?

1 Like

Ah but that’s just their news, they have a huge amount of output across all medias and it’s spot welded to the left. Have you never noticed that their rumours page only ever mentions left footed players who only play on the left?

Never said the Labour system was great or if it was open to manipulation by a group etc.

The main point being that a party leader is voted and they then become PM. Short of a personal disaster the reason a new leader and PM is needed is normally due to a failure / breakdown in government. Perhaps that should mean a different higher level approach is needed?

https://twitter.com/aidThompsin/status/1562379782834515968

1 Like

You millennial you, what’’s ticktock?

As a more serious point, I never get this idea of “how has this government improved your life?” As if the only reason to vote is purely selfish.

1 Like

It is if you vote Conservative.

2 Likes