UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Mick’s become a legend in his own lunchtime…

2 Likes
5 Likes

The press will dig up some dirt on him within 48 hours.

1 Like

Mick speaks a lot of sense

We know what’s going to happen next. Some rail strikers peacefully eating their picnic will be attacked by raged riot police. It’s being set up, Marxist evil hoodman, nasty piece of work.

2 Likes

I think Mick Lynch has struck a chord because it’s become rare to hear someone speaking truth to power, with authenticity, without spin or fear of the media reaction. Starmer and most of Labour Party are so worried about optics that no one knows what they stand for anymore.

The truth is that intentional, spiralling inequality is impacting all of our systems and sectors.

4 Likes

Bozo loses both of yesterday’s by-elections.

That ice is getting thinner.

2 Likes

Fuck me Honiton and Tiverton, that’s one hell of a swing. Ok it’s Devon and there’s always been a lot of hovering between Tories and Liberals however that’s a massive swing.
It indicates that Boris should have resigned a while ago.

I think the last party to hold it before the Conservatives was the Whig party, a fore runner of the Lib Dems, well over a 100 years ago.

4 Likes

I’m actually more interested in the Wakefield result. Without analysing it in depth, it does look like Labour will struggle to get the “red wall” back.

Erm. They won the seat, and Wakefield (I grew up in a neighbouring constituency) has always been semi-marginal as long as I can remember. Even backing in the eighties, Labour were holding Wakefield with a majority of only a couple of thousand.

3 Likes

My bad. In any case, I’m looking more at the percentages rather than the absolute vote. I’m hoping this is more a voters returning to Labour rather than newly Conservative voters staying home…

It’s most famous for Rhubarb, I wouldn’t lose to much time analysing the result. As Mascot indicates it really is a marginal seat. Despite it’s industrial past it is still quite a traditional Cathedral town/city as well.
From that I conclude it’s a massive win for Labour indicating that much larger swings can be expected in more traditional ‘red wall’ constituencies if this Tory government remains as it is.

2 Likes

Conservatives had been talking about Labour needing to show a win by 15% in Wakefield, knowing it was probably very unlikely they would get it, so they could give themselves a moral victory if they lost.

1 Like

I’m more concerned about this caveat.

If the Conservatives were to put up someone who’s less tarnished than Johnson, would Labour still be likely to win an election? That’s more what I’m concerned about.

1 Like

The candidates we could expect to see are all somewhat tarnished, they all appear to lack any sense of purpose or understanding of what would make the country better. Unless someone from outside of the core group steps forward I think Labour’s chances at the next election will change by much.

1 Like

We need to be seeing this from the perspective of someone who would vote Conservative, rather than from the perspective of people who already view the Conservatives as the immoral conmen that they are…

3 Likes

As crazy as it seems, if Johnson remains leader I think the Conservatives stand a better chance of beating a Starmer-led Labour Party than if they were to present an unknown alternative. That’s just a feeling and yes, an alarming one.

True. But one only has to look at the likely candidates and the low support many of them have within the polling done by their own members. Then you can think of how they are likely to reach across to swing voters.

2 Likes