UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

I don’t know where the UK goes from here to be honest. It’s broken, and one hand those in charge with their supporters refuse to acknowledge that, while the other side won’t come out and nail their colours to a direction of trying to fix it. I’m thinking that Tories are honestly trying to create more division to simply feed off it. Labour are doing very little to counter that. They aren’t offering themselves as an alternative.

For those that haven’t seen the results

2 Likes

Looks like a considerable amount of tactical voting in T&H.

No Lib in Wakefield.

Will opposition parties learn?

2 Likes

It’s definitely a factor. Arguably without the Labour swing to LibDem, the Conservatives still retain the Honiton and Tiverton seat.

Shame it wasn’t Rees-Moggs seat.

3 Likes

The governing party may well be trying to create more division, but I think they can no longer feed off of it. Instead, I think it is now consuming their own party. Just look at the drop in voting in their own safe seats. Polling across the country has highlighted a significant number of their seats at risk of changing hands at the next election.

I would disagree slightly on Labour. I would like to see them doing more to put forward a narrative but just appearing competent will carry weight.

Worth remembering too that we might be heading into a recession ahead of the next election

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1539912167725711361?s=20&t=wHmyGbE5985LgiJr6SWApg

3 Likes

Did you see this yesterday?

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1539891217894445057?s=20&t=wHmyGbE5985LgiJr6SWApg
https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1539891369543716864?s=20&t=wHmyGbE5985LgiJr6SWApg

3 Likes

That’s part of their issue I think. To appear competent in the face of an electorate that has been torn to shreds by populism demands some pretty heavy leadership and something people can really get behind. That isn’t happening.

I hate to admit it but somewhere along the line Labour need to face down the Brexit demon. The obvious line is that the Tories screwed it up, it needs fixing, we’ll do that, but even that would send the cat among the pigeons with the fear of rejoining the EU or even the single market being too much for many to stomach. But that also demands that people need to understand the reality of our current version of Brexit being a problem. They won’t do that.

I have a chap at work, full on Brexiteer, well read on the subject and 100% happy with where we are. Inflation is a global issue, it is but ours is worse. He will not see the reality. Worth noting he always voted Labour till the last election. He won’t vote Labour again in their current form.

I do need to ask him how he feels about Mick Lunch. He wasn’t supportive of the strike 3 days ago.

With Brexit, its a question of waiting and getting the timing right. We might have finally reached that point where the conservatives can no longer whip up culture war or Brexit support at will.

Stella Creasy and David Lammy within the last 2 days have both spoken out on the government’s failings on Brexit. That might simply be coincidence or it might be a signal, that we are heading into a new phase where Labour will begin to be more comfortable discussing it.

1 Like

Tories lose two by-elections yet the narrative (including in here) that some people want to talk about is how Labour can’t win the next election.

Nothing ever sticks to this fucking government.

4 Likes

I had picked up on that. I hope you’re right and heaven forbid they just give Boris something else to maintain the division. He’s incorrectly been shouting about Labour taking the UK back in to the EU which to my knowledge they’ve never said. But they won’t counter Johnson either leaving him getting away with it time after time.

Says a lot about the state of Labour too. If Corbyn had come along now, after Brexit is ‘done’, with the manifesto they had in 2017, he would destroy Bozo and his acolytes.

The current Labour leadership is far too concerned about keeping the centre-right happy than trying to reach the millions of people who are struggling. Enter Mick Lynch to lead the fight

Sometimes you just have to sit on your hands and let things play out. Pushing back on the allegations just gives them air and doesn’t prevent people from repeating them ad nauseum until they become ‘fact’. It would also then risk shifting the attention on the Labour Party to come up with specific proposals that could be attacked in public etc and loopholes highlighted. Brexit is far too complicated to want to allow that to happen.

The electorate is being worn down by the government’s antics. We’re in a position where Labour look like they could win the next election - that puts the emphasis on the government to do something that will win the votes back. The opposition has the opportunity to pick it’s spots to stop that happening.

1 Like

Fair shout and agreed. I think what could help Starmer in particular is if he actually started calling out the Boris BS. Boris has quite a narrow window of standard responses of which many are just rubbish. Challenging him on that may actually help.

Calculated risk at being dragged into a scrap but I think it could play out well if Starmer is ready and factually on point.

I don’t think this is an approach you can follow too often, it just loses its appeal to people. I believe he has adjusted the way he handles PMQs now to put the more damming stuff at the end which leaves Boris more exposed in the house.

Maybe. It’s worked well for Mick Lynch these last few days. The issue with the last question at PMQ’s is that Boris can grandstand so that last question has to be right on point. It’s difficult especially as Boris has gone through his playbook by then unchallenged.

The media have already found the new marxist that has a slight sense of humour, looking like a cartoon character. Now all that needs to happen is link him with some Labour MPs and they are back to zero. Starmer could be a cute fluffy kitten he would still have a mountain to climb.

:joy:

1 Like

Just watching today’s Majority Report for the Roe v Wade commentary, and they spend a bit of time on Mick Lynch and the rail strike.

Check it out, if you’re interested, from 2:20:00

2 Likes
1 Like