UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

I would argue that the pivotal era in creating this shitstorm were the Thatcher/Reagan years. That was the point when society openly came under attack from neo-fascists and it went practically unopposed. Those two sowed the seeds - the harvest is happening right now.

I dont wish to be too pessimistic, but I have a feeling that this is just the beginning. The looming food / climate crisis will cause the mass exodus of economic refugees into Europe, probably in 2023. The wheels are in motion for a perfect storm.

Nobody should ever expect life to return to pre-covid “normal”.

2 Likes

Clegg was a fucking idiot and someone who believed his own reputation. He wasn’t clever enough to understand that one day you will be the papers/public darling the next their scapegoat. The way he entered into the live debate with Farage was a joke, he thought he could wim it on notes from his team.

Cameron and Blair are slimy, self indulging human beings. Nothing is their fault and irrelevant of the damage they may have caused to the people/ the country, they still believe they are whiter than white. Selling memoirs, lobbying, etc.
I liked Brown, he was very good economically. Selling a large proportion of the countries gold may have been wrong but there are counter argued. sure he had his faults but at least I felt his intentions were honest.

4 Likes

Probably however I think the major reason was the liberalisation of the financial system starting with Thatcher and then chased by many in the world, notably USA.
I remember also the liberation of the silent majority, bunch of fascists.

1 Like

Is this real ? This is …I don’t know what to say even !

How long will she last?

And also, when is the next possible election for UK to possibly choose a new ruling party/government?

Sobering read

1 Like

No worries Liz is as blind as a bat and as dim as a deep cave, she won’t notice anything! :rofl:

1 Like

Because of austerity and the moving of cash from government into private hands. It widened the poverty gap and created the angered electorate that ultimately lead us here. That was a Cameron policy choice.

Yes and no. If you look at the Covid impact on the economy the UK went deeper than most and is still lagging with its recovery. The downturn was not if Boris’s making but the depth and lack of recovery is. A certain oven ready deal that actually turned out to be a glacial chicken that needed 5 years to thaw out has a part in that.

2 Likes

I think she’s an inspiration. If a political nonentity as herself can be scraped from the deepest recesses of the darkest barrel and become prime minister, any one of us can achieve anything.

3 Likes

Interesting view, not one I can argue with to be honest. I certainly don’t remember Reagan’s time other than knowing who he is etc. Thatcher, I can see that. She drove a wedge between working people and the rest.

I hope your prediction isn’t correct but it has a feeling of a real possibility to it. Scary.

I think she follows on from a rich tradition of recent trends in the West - lead by the leading light the US and now the UK - Bush-II, Trump and now L Truss… truly democracy at it spiritual best.

I know I should have started a poll on how long no. 10 wall paper would last.

Yet again we’ll be paying for that I suspect. I’ll give it 6 months to be changed and 18months before someone will want to change it again

I actually bumped into him in a few months before that vote and I found him quiet pleasant. Certainly prepared to listen to my view on how the Labour party were getting it wrong on Independence.

I personally think that speech swung the referendum but I think it also consigned Labour in Scotland to the bin because he was seen as working with Cameron.

2 Likes

An interesting look at demographics and voting.

DISCLAIMER: The above patterns are about the public as a whole and not any particular individual.

3 Likes

It’s interesting how the right-wing parties (particularly the Brexit Party) appeal more to those with lower educational achievement. Those parties (and those on the extreme left for that matter) tend to concentrate on simplistic messaging. I’m guessing that the likes of Keynesian economic cycles and crisis planning don’t really break down easily to sound bites.

1 Like

Surely she will not call an election any time soon.

From a Labour perspective, doesn’t she seem like the easiest win? I don’t really understand the thinking. Sunak and Mordaunt looked much stronger options if you’re heading for a general.

My fear is Starmer trounces the opposition, the return to Blairite Labour is validated, the status quo maintained and hard industry communities remain on the shelf.

2 Likes

Besides the energy, now that she is PM I want to see what she does now that she has greater authority than previous posting for example:

We import two thirds of our cheese.

That is a disgrace !!!

I hope Liz feels the same way😬

I don’t get the point of a no-confidence vote unless it’s followed by a general election. If the majority of the Tory MP think that Johnson isn’t suitable to run the country, doesn’t it question their decision to select him as their leader? Doesn’t it question their roles during the period when Johnson broke rules?