UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Fair enough. I misunderstood you anyway. I thought you meant that since North Korea, Russia and China was worse, then it didn’t matter etc. I agree with you, although I would maybe not find it alarming (because I think it’s not anything radically new, since the death of the Head of State sometimes leads to limits on FoE even in democracies to prevent anger and outrage). Just uncomfortable and wrong.

GP surgeries to close on the day of the funeral. Kids football being cancelled. Food banks announcing they’ll close for the day. Center parks kicking their guests out for 24 hours. British cycling telling people not to ride their bike when the funeral is on. The Government taking another leave of absence in a time of crisis after having a 6 week break from governing. Arresting people for placards and shouting things.

The country has gone fucking mad.

6 Likes

Surely the poor could just eat cake for the day?

4 Likes

I’m sure the entire country will be fasting

1 Like

I read parliament has one sitting day between now and mid October…

2 Likes

Sounds like our match schedule after they cancelled the Chelsea game.

1 Like

Everyone is determined to win the Grief Olympics. Everything is for show.

4 Likes

Indeed. Dan Wootton and his weird, awkward and staged video placing flowers for the Queen is the perfect example.

I wonder how long it’ll be before the right revert back to their favourite pastime of calling people snowflakes and bemoaning ‘virtue-signalling’, I’m guessing about half an hour after she’s lowered into the ground.

6 Likes

I wonder how many of them who are demanding respect and mourning right now will be insanely disrespectful to her memory in a couple of weeks by using her as a way to win every argument they enter online.

Get ready for everything to end in “this is not the country She wanted” as they argue against green energy laws.

World’s gone mad with this political correctness. All these snowflakes can’t handle the truth.

Brought to you by the right-wing snowflakes.

I’m particularly enjoying the spectacle of people who normally cry ‘cancel culture’ and ‘wokeism’ at any questioning of their perceived right to say anything they want at any time with no consequence, actively encouraging and supporting the censorship and suppression of free speech now it’s about something they do care about.

1 Like

I can’t remember where I’ve read this argument, but all this kerfuffle is possibly the most disrespectful way to observe the memory of a person who above all, embodied stoicism. I think she and Phillip would be bitterly disappointed that this is their legacy.

2 Likes

“Free Speech” has really been a euphemism for “I want to say the N word really badly” for a while now. They don’t actually care about free speech.

2 Likes

Yeah, although not sure I’d say I’m enjoying it.
Looks like the OTT performative grief may be backfiring anyway:

1 Like

Agree @redalways. Although it wouldn’t have been impossible for QE2 to make her views known so that some of the BS wouldn’t have happened.

1 Like

I’ve reached the conclusion that it’s really about consequence. Modern critics of ‘cancel culture’ are not really raging about not being able to say stuff. They just want there to be no consequences to saying stuff. That’s never really been the case ever.

2 Likes

This is ‘go to work, don’t go to work’ levels of cowardice.

No it’s not.

4 Likes

Just added the pertinent word for you here.