UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

I’m shocked by pro-monarchist views anywhere. To me, being a supporter of the royal family mean you accept being an inferior human being and accept a position of serfdom to your ‘betters’, who are only in that position due to an accident of birth.

I find the whole thing an affront to human dignity.

2 Likes

Heard a guy on the radio yesterday, to paraphrase “The idea of the royal family continuing would be had in an entirely different way if Andrew were the eldest”

Food for thought.

It’s on the BBC main news feed.

There’s a larger cohort of pro-QE2 than pro-monarchy, imo.

2 Likes

I’ve just never liked funerals being a scene where you take out your resentment in. It’s just a setting that I don’t like people being heckled in, no matter what they have done.

3 Likes

May sound ‘fair’ to you and your mates but is actually completely unworkable BS. Almost any controversial comment may be capable of being construed as ‘harmful’. Effectively your ‘absolutist’ free speech position would mean that those with power would be best able to use the legal system to shut down whatever they perceived as harmful.

Doesn’t this also apply the other way around then?
That people should not make shit up and say the queen was a coloniser ? I mean the empire was pretty much being disbanded by time she took the crown and she then went on to see it’s dismantling of it .

Different eras and all that but she never colonised nations or gave the order to, but people are bringing up the history of the empire in regards to the death of a monarch who witnessed the final death knell for it, but are portraying her as though she was personally instrumental in the expansion when the opposite is true.

Can’t remember who it was but a historian pointed out that the UK abolished slavery 30 odd years before the USA did and they had to have a civil war costing 600 thousand deaths to settle it.

5 Likes

You legally can’t slander people, you think you should be able to?

If William was to die before Charles, who’s next in line…?

More important than abolishing it, Britain was instrumental in it being abolished in the West, as for a considerable time in the 1800ds, Britain liberated quite a few slaves and was a terror for slavers. Many people today seem to either not kow this or have forgotten it.

This is of course a digression, but I do love my digressions.

3 Likes

I think that is very much the case. Many people don’t see the difference between a royal family, the monarchy and the Crown. I suspect that there are many who confuse a genuine affection for the late Queen with the institution of which she was the head.

1 Like

Prince George I think

Some do. And those of us who don’t VERY much like the whole package. Maybe slimmed down granted.

There is a museum in Liverpool which is dedicated to the subject:

4 Likes

Obviously I am not saying that Britain did not partake in or enriched itself from slavery, of course it did, everyone knows that. But it is worth noting that eventually times changed in Britain and , despite empire and everything, Britain in many ways redeemed itself when it comes to slavery.

1 Like

‘Britains never will be slaves’…

Maybe time for a bit of Rule Britannia from last night of the proms (which was also sadly cancelled in the wake of):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB5Nbp_gmgQ

1 Like

Don’t think so. It would be Harry wouldn’t it? But he’s stepped back. So would it be Andrew? Either way…

I didn’t know there was a wrong time to call a paedo a paedo.

4 Likes

I remember loving watching this show as a kid. NRK used to send it, I think they still do. It was wierd, very english and strange, but a bit exciting :slight_smile:

1 Like

My addition.

1 Like