UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Luddites get a bit of tough wrap. Luddite - Wikipedia

1 Like

Because I’m not the tyranical megalomaniacal far right demi-god I model myself on?

Being a parent is easy. Like bringing in 3000 bales of hay is easy. You just do it but it’s really hard work. Get it right before they’re 1 and you’re sorted. Spent the weekend with Mrs family of rather left leaning parents. Kids were wild to the point where I shouted at one of them. Parents went fucking mental. How dare I shout at a child for hitting me??? Well folks, if you won’t do it, have fun when they’re 14 and bigger than you. But it’s OK, the teachers will fix them when they go to school. I despair at times. My mum tells me I’m lucky to have jnr as we never have issues. Really? Nothing we did or didn’t do? Thanks.

He’s as odious as Stephen Miller was in the Trump administration.

Pretty much a pantomime villain come to life.

The planet would be a better place without either of them on it.

2 Likes

The point of the comment wasn’t the study, but I’m curious what you find strange?

Issue polling has a very weak association with election results. The two main reasons are that it doesn’t capture how those polled think their preference aligns with the major parties (meaning their perception of how their vote will will impact this policy is maybe not the same as yours). More importantly, it doesn’t weigh relative importance of issues. People weigh policies differently and will typically prioritize one or two and vote for the party they think will deliver best on them even if that is at the expense of 95% of the policies they also support.

Basically, it allows people to tell themselves they support gay rights and will tell anyone who asks they they have no problem with gay people, but are totally fine making them second class citizens if they get a lower tax bill.

3 Likes

It’s a tough call which of the two is the creepier. At a push I’d have to go with Miller. At least Mogg has some manners.

BoE raises interest rates while acknowledging the UK is in a recession. I didn’t think we would see that combination again in my lifetime. Stagflation 2.0

Sterling has been lower versus USD, apparently, in the early 80’s but I do not remember that. Must have been a downward spike that did not last long

1 Like

This is my point. This behaviour is shit parenting regardless of socio-economic background. Surely you’d need to hunt out right wing articles to find otherwise? Looking for that which you disagree with.

Probably like me listening to Premier Praise and listening to LBC when “HE” is on.

:slight_smile:

I think you’ve spectacularly missed the point, in search of a needless argument where there wasn’t one.

I’ll try again

There are many studies that show that a persons capacity for empathy and compassion are set at a very young age, and is largely formed neurologically from things like eye contact, communication, and affection. If this Brain development isn’t set early, then it is very hard to develop this stuff later in.

You only ever see studies like this used in the context of persuading young, working class mums to pay attention to their kids. This is a good thing. I’m all in favour of parents getting off their phones and talking to their kids. It’s not just a nice thing, it’s absolutely critical for development. I hate seeing it as much as you do.

However, and this is why I was making the point re Rees-Mogg, I think the upper classes, with their Nannies, and Boarding schools, and farming out of parenting responsibilities are equally guilty of this.

We seem to have bred a political/governing class of people with zero empathy and compassion. A total disregard for people and ruthless pursuit of power. It doesn’t seem a coincidence that we select our leaders almost exclusively from people who have experienced a lack of parental warmth and attention, and in some cases a complete rejection (It’s well known that Rees-Mogg was basically raised by a Governess).

Rees-Mogg to me seems transparently a psychopath, in the same way that Jimmy Savile was in hindsight transparently a paedophile. It’s there is plain sight, and I wonder if in future years we’ll look back at him in the same we do at Savile - thinking ‘Oh my God. It was so obvious - why did no-one do anything?’

4 Likes

I worked at a summer camp in Maine in 2014 and 2015 - very exclusive, wealthy place where lots of rich people send their kids (Bob Iger, Chairman of Disney, sent his son there for example).

One thing that became clear was that some of the kids had distant relationships from their parents. Many of them attended the same boarding school in New York then have maybe a week or two at home before coming up to the camp, staying there for 8 weeks then going straight back to the boarding school to do early sports training before the season started (these would be kids between the age of 10-15).

I remember parents day, about two weeks before the camp ends, when the parents are allowed to come and visit. Many, many of the camp were actually visited by nannies not parents because their parents were too busy. One kid I saw was barely even acknowledged by his dad who was too busy getting his tennis equipment out of the car - the camp had several formerly ranked tennis players as coaches - and I saw them later one with the dads playing tennis while the kids sat and watched.

In particular I remember one kid who was sat waiting for his parents to show up and no one came. He was sat on his own outside my work station, the rifle range, on a wall just hoping to see the car come in and no one ever arrived. No call/no show.

My thought with those kids was that sure they’re getting a great education at their boarding school, they’re forming friendships at the summer camp and they’re probably getting more chances to succeed in sports than most kids are. No doubt most of them have gone on to amazing universities and probably at least a few of the have high paying jobs that someone like me would not even get the chance to apply for
 however - at what cost? The lack of time spent with family, the lack of interest or love from their parents. You could see on parents day that several of those kids were heartbroken by either having parents not show up or only show up because they wanted a free tennis lesson.

When you see studies that link stunted development in empathy and compassion to absent or bad parenting then I do worry a bit seeing camps like that because those kids are almost certainly going to be running businesses or entering politics just because of who their parents are, yet many of them barely even know their parents. How can they be trusted to show empathy and compassion to people who enter the workforce below them in the years to come?

12 Likes

Are you saying that governments advocating uncapped salaries are promoting the anti-social and potentially toxic physiological make up of the next ruling class? Is that a good or bad thing???

I said we’ll all be back in hessian if Mogg gets his way

When at boarding school we’d have leave weekends a couple of times a term. Your parent(s) could come down and take you out for the afternoon or after sports. Most would grab a McDonald’s or go to Pizza Hut or something like that. I remember my Dad not showing up for one and me then telling my Mum on the phone that I felt like I was adopted :grimacing:

1 Like

Pushing the button to drop the MOAB on some desert country for no reason other than getting your dad’s attention for doing something of importance.

Jacob?

:see_no_evil:

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

WAAAYYYY off. The Death Pencil wouldn’t have been able to go to my old school.

How old are your kids?