UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

You’re so obviously a WUM (which you describe as humour). I’ve just no idea, 1- how you have the time, and 2- why everyone else here let’s you wind them up

Chairman Mao of course famously tolerant of minorities.

Looks like that is being used to house Ukrainian refugees which, if that is still going on, is far from ideal. I tried tracing the ownership back and it’s labyrinthine. One director has directorships with another 6 hotel chains. I’m not saying for certain that anyone is doing anything wrong here but the transparency of what is happening leaves a lot to be desired.

This is incredible really. It would simply be unacceptable politically in any EU country.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Something I keep asking myself. So why do you?:wink:

1 Like

Putting body positivity into a cooking program will increase the number of larger people QED ceasing to be a minority. Bang on.

Correlation is not always causation.

1 Like

The Duke of Edinburgh lads we have helping out at kids football on a Saturday morning move the goalposts less than you.

1 Like

You should make them work harder then. Bloody lefties always waiting for other people to do the hard graft.

I have to admit to crossing over into confused. Isn’t Channel 4 independent of the BBC?

1 Like

You aren’t the one who’s confused mate.

Someone financially milking a bad situation, who’d have think it?

1 Like

I don’t know anything about anyone getting hounded out, but I personally have no problem whatsoever with a Liverpool fan being right wing, politically. Obviously most are left leaning, and it’s easy to point to what Thatcher did to the city, and her part, and Ingram’s part in Hillsborough, etc.

But much as those things, and more besides, were awful things to happen to the city of Liverpool, and help to sway much of our fan base politically, it has to be said that the world of politics is much bigger than that, and applies to the whole country, in every facet of life.

If you are right leaning, from the usual sort of playbook - work hard, earn your way, government stay out of my affairs as much as is possible - I personally have no problem with that sort of thing.

Where it strains it for me, is the sort of thing you are talking about here. Gay angels and chubby cake ladies. I have been out of the UK for 14 years, and I may be out of touch in saying this, but really? Cakes and angels?

I hope I try to be fair, but that sort of stuff doesn’t seem worthy of any ire to me. It just seems trivial, when presumably there are loads more things deserving our anger.

Anyway, I’m strongly left by American terms, which is to say I am probably pretty centrist in the UK, although I always voted Labour when I lived there, and I well remember Thatchers treatment of Liverpool in the 1980s, and on a personal note, how that affected my family.

Be all that as it may, the thing that unites Liverpool fans is the actual footy itself. If we try to unite on any other basis, it starts to get more frayed.

As Liverpool FC fans - and I am proud to say this - we transcend race, religion, politics, nationality, sexuality and anything else you can mention.

We have fans of every stripe in every category.

And I bloody love that, about us!

So keep shining, @Klopptimist, my fellow red!

5 Likes

Tbh with you @Klopptimist, you say some things which I find absolutely nuts, but I know you speak what you believe and there is full transparency there. I respect that. I don’t have a problem with your opinion (even if sometimes aggravates me on occasion) but you also are quite amusing.

Unfortunately there are some previous posters that I always found pretty shady with their opinions and would try to build up ‘lefty points’ to try to pretend they were neutral to try to win an argument on politics and they are the type of person I probably wouldn’t want to go out for a beer with (the feeling is likely mutual!). One certain person judging by their posting style has used at least one other alias as well, just to further play to their shady character.

So IMO keep posting your opinions. Yes you will get some push back because there are a lot of left leaning people here (I think you are underselling the number of right leaning people on TAN though…its just they only post in here on occasion) but I think you are capable of handling yourself. The only thing I would say is to not cross the line and take things too far just for a joke.

That’d be a great name for a band. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

I lost my scout knife a few years back at Bellingham airport. forgot it was in my day pack, checked into security. blade was 1/4" too long, I had to forfeit it.

don’t overcomplicate it. Anytime there’s a government contract with hotels, the rack rate comes out. zero discounts. Because they can, and the government won’t haggle rates when they don’t have much for options.

This isn’t new news. been happening for decades.

this sounds like a challenge, find the best album cover. I’ll start

2 Likes

This is why I’m scared to Google anything. At least that’s just a daft photo. Usually these random phrases turn out to be a bizarre sexual fetish.

Oh God, that’s not where you found it was it?