UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

A house keeper who goes around smashing everything and one with a giant rolling pin is a psychopath in my book!

And another thing thatā€™s pissing me off.

The narrative thatā€™s being sowed around Boris is that he got us through Covid.

His management of covid was an absolute catastrophe. He made it, through failing to take it seriously, allowing profiteering and corruption, and failing to lead by example, so much worse than it needed to be.

Even his ā€˜world beating vaccine programmeā€™ was largely a case of having to bet the farm on it because heā€™d fucked up everything else.

11 Likes

Doing what he always does, playing for time.

Heā€™s going to push off his resignation for two or three months, in the hope that he can gather up some good press by using Ukraine. Also, as per normal, it puts time between the controversy and allows emotions to settle.

Wonā€™t be at all surprised if he starts going back on this resignation in the coming weeks. New cabinet installed, heā€™ll refer to having a massive personal mandate and something to the effect of ā€œit would be irresponsible to abandon the people of Ukraine at this timeā€.

If the Conservative Party want him gone, they have to get him out now.

6 Likes

I hope we can have that funny one as PM Nadine Dorries!

Now thatā€™s what the English need a real handsome english bull dog!

anyone resigned today? if everyone keeps resigning the day after they are appointed there will be a legitimate reason why nothing ever gets done. At the same time a lot of money will be donated to charity. i like this new style of government

Agree entirely with this. Iā€™d worked in both the NHS and previously in the civil service on emergency planning and most of what I could see happening were in line with that. What I could see going wrong (and former colleagues backed this up) was entirely down to Tory mismanagement - essentially trying to make a quick buck whilst people were dying.

The vaccine rollout was entirely due to having the NHS in place. Again, I could see the specific systems being used - in a couple of cases because I was personally responsible for putting them in place. He is trying to claim responsibility for other peopleā€™s diligence. And I donā€™t mean other politicians, either. Members of all parties have tried to put that on the back burner for as long as I can remember.

5 Likes

To be fair to boris. he had so many parties and was so pissed during the pandemic it was inevitable he sent so many confusing messages to the public each day. we have all had those nights when we canā€™t remember what we did or siad the day afterā€¦ boris just suffered from it for over 12 months :joy:

At the same time I donā€™t think heā€™s actually that clever either. someone smart, like Thatcher, can basically do enough and project a vision that would keep them in post. Boris the fuckwit he is canā€™t hold onto a job, any job.

2 Likes

A dream team of Nadine Dorries and Jacob Rees Mogg.

One can but dream.

Iā€™d go further and also call them clueless. The ethos of Conservatism is to pay someone else to do the work. This lot are that in the extreme, calling on a consultant to tell them that they need a new tap, before even thinking about a plumber. When the country needed them to lead, organise and manage they were utterly clueless but as you say, they also turned to type and thought of ways to make money from it.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t even say that is limited to Conservatism. New Labour introduced swathes of management consultants into government and they wasted everyoneā€™s time. There is a popular myth that government employees sit around scratching their arses all day but there is an element of truth in that - people end up unable to do their actual jobs because of the inefficiencies introduced by the last bunch of consultants. Those people that actually do the work are usually understaffed and underpaid.

2 Likes

I think he has a certain intelligence, recognising that intellect isnā€™t a binary thing. I can believe he is quite politically sharp, while at the same time being absolutely useless with anything that requires him to understand an issue or apply critical thinking.

His biggest problem, as has been commented by everyone from his school, to early employers, to his political colleagues, is that he is fundamentally a very, very lazy man. He has no work ethic and no willingness to actually put in the graft. Politics. Relationships. Journalism. Writing. All characterised by a slack attitude and unwillingness to do the diligence.

3 Likes

When I was speaking to Mrs SBYM yesterday, I said he reminded me of Jay Gatsby, the differences between the respective end games notwithstanding.

ā€˜If I just hang on for a little bit longer etc etcā€¦ā€™

This was him getting us through covid. The country seems to have collective amnesia.

4 Likes

The civil service are the public servants itā€™s OK to hate, and Iā€™ve never been comfortable with that. They are used as a punchbag and convenient place for politicians to push blame.

When we weā€™re applauding nurses and doctors, and lorry drivers and supermarket workers during the pandemic, no-one soared a thought for civil servants. I knew plenty of people working routine 14 hour days, seven days a week, to keep the country running during covid.

7 Likes

I canā€™t remember the context, will try and find the video, but it was some debate a while ago and his manoeuvre was to just read the Iliad in the original Greek.

A literal personification of a bower birdā€¦ā€˜Here, look at my shiny sparkling magic trick which involves no effort from me other than memorisation.ā€™

2 Likes

Itā€™s what a teacher friend of mine used to refer to as native wit. Itā€™s someone who is a lazy bastard who doesnā€™t know anything (because they canā€™t be arsed to study) but has an ability to bluff their way through things. In essence they can give the impression that they know something whilst talking utter gibberish. Left to their own devices they will fail miserable and be found out sooner rather than later.

Far too late.

1 Like

Heā€™s the perfect example of how having a good vocabulary doesnā€™t necessarily equate to cognitive ability

1 Like