UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I’m off to read the instructions on a packet of toothpicks.

Wonko the Sane would be proud.

It’s great that Fishi is here to steady the ship…

On risk, always worth a listen:

3 Likes

I have some sympathy for the sort of thought being expressed here. Excessive and unnecessary red tape does hinder productivity. Officials who wield their officialdom to the nth degree are a pain in the arse.

With that said, the overall trend toward making the workplace safer is a very good thing, and even if health and safety protocols are sometimes heavy handed, since the 70s, as pointed out above, it has saved a lot of lives and money. And that is a good thing.

4 Likes

I agree. It just needs to find a balance though. If you’re working in the atomic industry, lots of high vis and training. If you’re a postman, not so much. TBH, if you need more than an hours’ training to be a postman, I need to emigrate to a different galaxy.

I listened to the Infinite Monkey Cage above, while exercising on my indoor rower. As I listened I learned that my chance of death doubles every 8 years, so exercising is trying to stave that off a bit!

It was a good listen, thank you. I have missed so much being out of the country, and I will check out other episodes. This episode brought back fond childhood memories of the 70s and The Goodies. Classic.

2 Likes

… and that’s just for @Klopptimist, what about the rest? :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s because there’s no such thing.

Kinda.

and i kinda agree.

being presented with a 150 page work method statement that needs to be signed from front to back defeats the purpose. (in construction) we are generally a practical lot with limited education.

even most reps agree its pretty much an industry within an industry now.

we have a growing workforce unable to navigate safe methods of work on anything that is remotely out of routine.

its like fitness…if you no longer run, then you become unfit.

if you no longer exercise common sense in practical situations, no longer have an awareness of danger, no longer have to manage your own protection…you become unpractical.

its hard to explain in absolute terms becuase everyone just shakes thier heads…but i can tell you, you can see the difference between whats coming through in construction now and what used to exsist.

some of it can be explained away as experience…

just little things tell big signs…stuff like not know why bunting is around an object…just assuming becuase its orange, it can not be touched…

1 Like

Don’t be silly, why would you need a hard hat? Now, safety goggles I could understand…

I worded in an American plant once that required every member of staff to wear safety glasses at all times no exceptions. Kitchen staff, office workers, whilst eating lunch etc. They reasoned it was easier.

Coming after three people have explained why posties need some H&S consideration, you double down on your assertion that Postal Workers are just sticking letters through peoples doors, because that’s what you reckon. Classic Klopptimist.

3 Likes

Who mentioned postal workers? Classic Mascot.

If you need HS (or any training) to walk down a road and post letters which are addressed (or claim you do) then you and the world have gone utterly insane.

As it happens, I play football with a postman and asked him about this last night. As he’s not a card carrying member of the “hide behind the paperwork” (ironic) society which pervades business. He agreed with me. Working in a sorting office is factory work so needs a level of training. But an ordinary walking street postie? Don’t be daft.

Because that’s what our postman does.

That’s what you see your postman do. You do realise that their job involves a lot more than just walking from the sorting office to your door?

2 Likes

Well, I talked to a Postie just now and he told me you do need H&S training. In fact my postie is better than yours. He has been doing it for longer and he won postie of the year three years running.

1 Like

Of course he doesn’t. This is episode #3748 in an ongoing series entitled ‘Klopptimist fails to see beyond the end of his own fucking nose’

SC ruling now on Rwanda scheme.

2 Likes

Well done, Rishi. Target met.

Oh wait. Hang on…

Suren Thiru, the economics director at the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, said that while the figures suggested the UK had turned the corner in its battle against soaring inflation, “this owes more to the downward pressure on prices from falling energy costs and rising interest rates than any government action

On a related note, we really pay through the nose for not making economic education mandatory at secondary school level. The number of people who think that a reduction in the rate of inflation means that prices will come down is really sobering.

2 Likes

Word of the Day : Refoulement

2 Likes