UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I’d actually just ask them to define it. There was a clip of the radio presenter James O’Brien doing the rounds a while back where he asked a caller to define “woke”. The best that they could come up with was, “Well, you know, just like er, people who are woke”.

I also heard someone describe it as “people who are against racism” as if that was objectively a bad thing.

3 Likes

Also avocado and quinoa

1 Like

Over the phone my Dad used ‘woke’ complaining of ‘woke people’. Not knowing what woke is I asked him. I still don’t know what woke is. Pretty sure he just read a Torygraph page about it and decided to be angry about ‘woke’.

I think it’s time that some be woken up!

3 Likes

Maybe people should just consider what the opposite of awake is.

1 Like

Just been googling ‘woke’ and saw that ‘Le Monde’ have written articles about it so that us Frenchies can understand what it is and what all the fuss is. :crazy_face: :rofl:

1 Like

Is that like squash or is squash still a game played in a room with a little racket?

Both.

There was this Tory MP blathering on about woke people eating avocados and quinoa in parliament (clip was on Have I Got News For You this week)

1 Like

Well normally it’s quite a civil sport but I suppose if a player gets rowdy then…

And this ok apparently

This country needs a guillotine on Whitehall.

2 Likes

They could do a reality TV programme to go with it. Vote for your (least) favourite twat to get the chop. They could stick it on just before Strictly. In fact they could do a competition on Blue Peter to design the bucket.

I’m sure Nigel Kneale must have written something along those lines.

I think you mean Westminster

A Guy Fawkes Mark II if you will (successful this time)

Or V from V for Vendetta

Slightly prying so feel free to ignore - but are you French born and bred or did you (for some reason as I had thought) move there from the UK decades ago?

Nah…in the middle of the road will do…lots of room for us all to crowd around.

We can drag 'em down from Westminster, I’ll bring my knitting needles.

1 Like

For some reason that reminds me of the Life Of Brian sketch with the women at the stoning.

“This government has done a significant amount of work to reduce levels of fear and anxiety among ethnic minority communities”

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

Well, in fairness, we fucked off to Germany which has vastly reduced our fear and anxiety.

The latter (so over half my life in France), so I don’t know what woke is and squash is a game I played as a kid.

2 Likes

If you have a stare anything like the knitting lady just that will do!

Squash is a drink.

Nobody knows what woke is, but you can use it to describe anything you don’t like.

Eg;
Eugh! This wine is woke!
Oh no! That archaeology is woke!
Eek! There’s a woke spider in the bathroom!

2 Likes