UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I know that, drank squash in the UK many years ago, very different to cordial!

Strip public services to the bare bone; declare that they donā€™t work; privatise.

Rinse and repeat.

1 Like

Iā€™m starting to make anecdotal comparisons in my mind between the state we were in 13 years ago when the labour government was overturned, it was done, to the state we will be in going into an election next year.

Not looking good at the moment.

Owen Jones isnā€™t everybodyā€™s cup of tea (he can be blinkered and whiny, in my opinion) but this video is quite interesting:

2 Likes

Fuck me.
So we pay our bills, even when ridiculously hiked up, then get hit with the bill for those who canā€™t/wont.

How about the energy companies using some of their obscene profits to chase those who donā€™t pay, instead of tipping millions into shareholdersā€™ bank accounts?

2 Likes

I thought that was quite nuanced from Owen Jones. Geoff Norcottā€™s comment about those on the left of the political spectrum taking up the ground once occupied by Mary Whitehouse was interesting although Iā€™m not sure I entirely agree with that.

A few years ago, I had a chat with the TV producer Philip Hinchcliffe and he had mixed opinions about Whitehouse. He had been severely criticised by her for two series, Doctor Who and Target, and he felt that the criticism was unfair. On the other hand, he said that she did have a point about many TV series at the time which seemingly threw a sex scene or violence in simply to fill the running time. I also heard Dennis Potter defend her, saying that she was well meaning but picked on the wrong targets.

I didnā€™t think Geoff Norcott got across exactly what he objected to (and couldnā€™t really tie down what ā€œwokeā€ or whatever meant). I think what he was hinting at is that there shouldnā€™t be completely taboo subjects and that many subjects are far more nuanced than they are given credit for (e.g. his Churchill comments).

Iā€™ve seen Norcottā€™s act and I found him very funny. I also didnā€™t think anything he was saying was offensive as such. His humour is more about being an outsider (on the comedy circuit) rather than what tends to pass as right-wing ā€œhumourā€ which is simply saying offensive things without an actual joke attached.

3 Likes

Might have been nice to have a government that actually taxed energy companies and returned that to people who are struggling to make ends meet as a result of their own policy failures (theft is another word for it)

1 Like

Iā€™m no fan of Jones either but that was quite balanced.

What has always amazed me is how the Tories thought that they could appropriate this particularly American phenomenon and use it to gain a political advantage here in the UK , albeit that they were aided in this endeavour by some rent-a-mob idiots.

Iā€™d always imagined that the anti-woke thing in the US began as part of the inevitable Obama backlash but it wasnā€™t actually until people had to watch George Floydā€™s slow motion death that the racists really had to get to work with their counter narrative.

Thereā€™s an excellent article here on woke history which surprisingly dates its genesis as far back as 1938 , not the sixties like many would imagine , and runs right through to Ron de Santisā€™ recent supercharging of the present-day anti-woke brigade , which began with his ā€˜where woke goes to dieā€™ speech and Stop The Woke Act.

Maybe this belongs elsewhere but itā€™s a reminder of how just perverted and meaningless the whole discussion has become , especially when it is has been so brazenly imported into British politics , where it most certainly does not belong.

4 Likes

I have that Lead Belly record as well. I think he got the phrase from the labour union movements in the US where it was essentially telling people to be aware of how they were being exploited. The actual song is about the lynching of some black workers so that was possibly where it was reused in the civil rights movement (although Ledbetter was as much a documenter of traditional works as a composer - somewhat in the mould of WC Handy.)

2 Likes

Marvel movies since End Gameā€¦

I genuine donā€™t know what woke is.
Contender?

1 Like

Two different groups of energy companies. As the article noted, 2021 was a disastrous year for the retail energy sector to whom most of that consumer debt is owed.

1 Like

Donā€™t worry, woke is definitely not you.

1 Like

You obviously need the beginners guide. (Donā€™t worry, nobody knows what it means.)

1 Like

Itā€™s almost the new ā€˜Mornington Cresentā€™ game from Iā€™m sorry but I havenā€™t a clue radio showā€¦

Mornington Crescent, Iā€™m Sorry I Havenā€™t A Clue, the official website for ISIHAC or Clue with Willie Rushton, Graeme Garden, Humphrey Lyttleton, Barry Cryer, Tim Brooke-Taylor and Colin Sell

Good analogy. The other thing when people say something is ā€œwokeā€ is to shout back ā€œNo! Thatā€™s Numberwang!ā€

1 Like

Seven?

1 Like

At this point I canā€™t tell who is being serious and who is just having a laugh. You can easily google ā€˜woke meaningā€™ and get your answer. But a handy short cut toward itā€™s ā€˜originalā€™ meaning is that ā€˜thingsā€™ are not woke. People are or they arenā€™t.
A tv show or film isnā€™t woke but it might be progressive or have a diverse cast. A woke person would likley understand why, while a person who is not woke would be triggered by it and decide that any and all faults with it begin and end with the casting.

It absolutely cannot be used to describe archaelogy or be an insult against a person.

Of course, words can develop and change their meaning over time such as awful and nice. So at this point, it might be that the connotation of the word when used by conservatives is now the true meaning?

Nowā€¦as you were.

Nothing wrong with a little quid pro quo.

Or, in this case, sixteen thousand quid pro fuckloads of quo.

1 Like