UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Unfortunately so

Out of interest does Scotland keep any VAT revenue or does that make its way down to London?

It is meant to be assigned to the Scottish government but I donā€™t know if they have ever come up with a way to determine this. VAT is a bit of an odd one as it is claimed and reclaimed in a merry go round but where the actual value occurs is rather obscured.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised (but I probably shouldnā€™t be) that income tax doesnā€™t have more bands/isnā€™t more progressiveā€¦

It used to but these were gradually phased out. In Germany it is completely progressive. In fact Iā€™m not sure exactly how it is calculated. However, given that I have the same tax rate in Germany that I did in Scotland, the tax burden is much less.

For a start, you arenā€™t discriminated against for working or having children. If I was to earn extra here I would pay 42% max in tax. In Scotland I was paying a marginal rate of around 75%.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JayMitchinson/status/1737749436124557489?t=rG_5v8dG1JlaSd3QJQ-o6w&s=19

I appreciate the aim is to appear as cost concious guardians of the governmentā€™s purse but the optics on this are terrible. It smacks of Sunakā€™s talk to the Tunbridge Wells massive!

2 Likes

The fact there there is nobody in the Conservative Party who are capable of pointing this out is incredible.

2 Likes

Or they have decided that the North is a lost cause and are trying to aim for London votes?

Serious questionā€¦

Whose political instincts are worse, Truss or Sunak?

Honestly cannot make up my mind.

1 Like

I think that is what they are clearly doing, trying to double down and save their seats in the south.

1 Like

I think Truss was utterly clueless, so clueless that doing simple sums were beyond her. Sunak is a smiling snake, not a clever one but a snake regardless.

More on the missing WhatsApp messages over the last day as Penny Morduant written statement to the COVID inquiry noted how a bunch of messages went missing overnight.

Iā€™m pretty certain this stuff can still be recovered. Surely that has to be worth the effort to make this lot accountable

I think a word with Piers Morgan on some phone hacks could be in order.

1 Like

Starmer

You should be a politician. You havenā€™t answered the question that was asked.

Two options, and you still get it wrong. A seat in the House Of Lords awaits.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to think @Dane has a backbone, some integrity, and isnā€™t a corrupt twat.

instead of raising taxes or creating new tax bands,

the SNP should have scrapped free prescriptions, the free universtity places, the free travel for over 60ā€™s, and the free school meals for kids in primary 1 to 5.

1 Like

@Semmy youā€™re going to love this.

Sounds about right. How very Orwelian.

Wow, just the summary basically hits every single conspiracy theory of the last couple of years, just missing the vaccine onesā€¦

1 Like