UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

There’s marmite in your old fella?!!?

Bloody hell, marra…see a doctor!!!

This is key. The point that the conservatives are fiscally and managerially incompetent needs to be made right now and the story that it will take 10 years of labour to clean up the mess needs to also be sold otherwise the likes of @Klopptimist will be whinging on day 2 of a labour government about what’s not fixed.

2 Likes

This is the way. Resistance is futile.

Actually honestly, it tastes really good. I don’t understand the hooha surrounding it. Drama queens really. Just like my Italian friend here in Singapore, ‘you can put pineapples but don’t call it pizza!’ Why…do Italians have propriety to the word Pizza?

Have anyone tried Pineapple Pizza? How does it taste?

1 Like

We call it Hawaiian Pizza here haha…so everyone thinks its just the Americans bastardising another food again, little did they know…

2 Likes

Oh shit wait I just realized this is the UK Politics thread…I better leave and not derail it further

See Ya Goodbye GIF by Walter Mercado

Yeah, we need to get it back to Canadian infrastructure asap

1 Like

The fundamental problem there is that virtually every government tells a version of that story when it comes into power, and then proceeds to blame their predecessors for everything under the sun for at least one full electoral cycle. The electorate has heard the story before, and discount it heavily - notwithstanding the fact that this time it does appear to be particularly true.

1 Like

Full of B12 power, me.

fat thrust GIF by The Human Tackboard

Too far, dude.

Too far.

Sure but I think Labour needs to prosecute the argument that it will take a generation of good government to unwind and repair the Cons. Two fold purpose here: first to try and impress voters on the fence that the cons need to be obliterated and secondly (and most importantly) to damp down expectations before winning power while making space for big reforms that will take 5-10 years to be felt. I think it would also help counter Cons rhetoric that the vote is just about unpopularity or a temporary change for change sake and that the ‘new’ post election cons are now ready to return to govt.

2 Likes

I think they need to prosecute the Cons that helped themselves to taxpayers money.

It wouldn’t plug much of the shortfall but it might help focus vengeance on those who actually deserve it.

1 Like

Off with their fucking heads.

Get the money back first.

Absolutely this. They really need to drive home where the money has gone. The figures would’ be eye watering and I’d take it all the way back to austerity. Basically show who it hit the hardest and those “friends” that helped themselves during it all.

My buzz words would be “full reset”

Sounds nice in theory but risks taking up too much resource and bandwidth chasing up stuff that may not be that easy to prove in the courts.

Better to focus on the positives - what they can do to improve things going forward.

That’s true, but the difference here is that’s it’s clearly and transparently obvious to everyone that everything is fucked.

1 Like

The corollary though, is that there really doesn’t look like there is a way that the next government can avoid raising taxes or reducing spending, or some combination thereof.

2 Likes

Completely fair. I still think it has mileage as a message though. The damage done by this more recent version of Conservatives needs to be highlighted and driven home. Only then does the scale of the “repair” comes into focus.

Be interesting to see what Starmers pre election proposals will be.
And how many times he’ll flip flop them before the vote goes through.
Still, better than after I suppose.