UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

simply not the way opposition should work…

‘leave them alone to fuck it up’

opposition os MEANT to represent the people who put a tick in their box…

if they oppose Ireal Bombing the Gaza strip…then oppose it…dont try to Politk.

1 Like

Agreed, but it’s also election year and being brutally honest the UK political system is completely screwed (along with pretty much everything else tbh).

Being upfront, open and I’d even go as far as being 100% honest gets you nowhere, no matter where you are on the political spectrum. Even now we’re seeing the birth of the Reform Party who are basically a fresh face delivering the same broken and twisted messages that were delivered 10 years ago. And that is attractive to some.

The UK is in desperate need for change, and I will welcome a change in government (if current polls are correct) but I honestly suspect that the fundamental issues will not be resolved by them, not unless they really go after the super wealthy (which I doubt they will). From there the UK will possibly lurch to a political extreme which is a scary thought given the likely direction that will go.

I strongly suspect that, should they get in, Labour’s first five years is going to be focussed on ensuring they get a second term. If that happens, they can actually start reversing the running down of the country that has been happening for the last fourteen years, but it obviously isn’t going to happen overnight.

3 Likes

So the Labour party, in order to get into government, has to somehow behave like Conservative party, and insist that they are just behaving as the lesser evil, to kick out the bigger evil?

1 Like

Pretty much.

3 Likes

yup, that’s how fucked up it is.

1 Like

That’s what happens when you don’t have a properly functioning fourth (or even fifth) estate. Thanks Lachlan!

3 Likes

That’s probably correct but I dont think it addresses the fundamental issue which is the transfer of wealth to the super rich. If people are getting poorer, that money is going somewhere, and it isn’t to the government, because they’re essentially losing money as well.

That isn’t a UK issue in isolation, it’s everywhere across the “west”

Labour just won the Wellingborough by-election with a 28% swing, overturning a Tory majority of 18,000.

Just a reminder that while everyone is telling Starmer what he should be doing, what he is actually doing is objectively working.

By the way, it’s fun to realise that if that kind of swing were repeated nationally (which it would be unlikely to be, for a variety of reasons) the Tories would be left with four seats.

2 Likes

With the current economic status, he really doesn’t need to gamble. Inflation remains high in the UK (though it did tick downward dramatically in January), but growth is very weak. Reducing interest rates is really not feasible, it will translate almost instantaneously into inflation at this stage of the cycle, and post-Truss global financial markets have minimal trust in the UK. The UK is stuck in a policy trap last seen in the 1970’s, hence the Conservatives’ urge to channel Thatcher despite minimal similarity in underlying causes. Starmer just needs to not fuck up.

Fake??
Every chance no unfortunately

https://twitter.com/N0TINSERVICE/status/1758393167257235524

If you live in Rochdale your candidates to choose from in the upcoming by election include;

Azhar Ali - suspended by Labour for suggesting Israel had prior warnings of the October massacre of 1400 people by Hamas and deliberately ignored them.

Simon Danczuk - your ex MP - also suspended by Labour for sending sex texts to a 17 year old girl …allegedly. Now joined Farage’s lot

George Galloway who once crawled on all fours, purred and licked cream off an actress’s hand on national television.

All is not lost though as you do have the option to vote for Ravin Rodent Subortna - Official Monster Raving Loony Party. He wants to bring in a 99p coin to save on change.

Actually that is not a bad idea…

Rochdale of course was the fiefdom of one Cyril Smith who was the MP for 20 years. Yes that Cyril Smith…who liked to visit children’s hostels at night.

The Press Office of David Steele, the leader of the Liberal Party, commented at the time, “All he seems to have done is spanked a few bare bottoms”.

Someone once said you get the politicians you deserve.

Don’t get me started…it’s Cost of Living payments month …let’s see how much goes on energy bills…we’ve already had 3 deliverys of food today (I mean my ‘lovely’ neighbours)…breakfast, dinner n big indian takeaway…(I only know that because they knocked on the wrong door)…easy money spent not earned…

The thing is Labour did have a problem of antisemitism that was not dealt with previously. That issue was weaponised (government/media) and Corbyn turned a blind eye to it. He was called a useful idiot by Ukraine for speaking at Russian propaganda events. (Blaming NATO and urging west to not send weapons to make the war shorter)

Corbyn lacked any pragmatism, he was too entrenched in his philosophical beliefs, that he was blinded to some of the basics of right or wrong. Being anti-war is noble, it is however appeasement when you have a leader like Putin. Standing up for Palestine cause is correct (before this conflict) however if the if it gets to the point you have an independent commission 29 unlawful events occurred in your party that’s at best incompetence. You don’t die on a hill saying it’s not that big a problem or it’s been overinflated.

As much as I agreed with many of Corbyns philosophies your ideological beliefs can not dominate reasoning (brought into focus by Ukraine as an example) it’s like Gandhi who believed you could oppose the Hitler by pacifism.

Starmer I have been disappointed in him not showing more integrity and believing in his core values. He is doing everything he can to win at all costs. Losing sight of your principles it’s not a good thing. Not as bad as being blinded he is much smarter than that, but it does speak to him as a person.

Million times better than having a conservative government but I do hope that he is more progressive than he is setting him self up to be pre-election.

4 Likes

I haven’t worked since October, and wont even bother trying to claim benefits that I’m absolutely entitled to.
Genuinely can’t be arsed with all the justification I’d have to present.

Mester wilkored08 keeps getting forms thru’ the post to claim PIP…we fill em in…spend hours on the phone talking to these people…then they find out reason why he’s not entitled to it…Martin Lewis keeps saying we are entitled to this benefit and that benefit…but we’re not…nothing, zilch, not a bean…but next door…that’s a different matter…they even brag about it in the back garden…like I say…easy money easy spend…not earned.

What reason do they give for him not to be entitled to it ?

1 Like

His carpal tunnel isn’t that bad, his arthritis in his knees isn’t that bad and his diabetes is controlled…

Have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration at any point ?

1 Like

Didn’t know u could…we just get a letter saying no no no…he doesn’t need it…bye bye…no other help…