UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

This one?

Obviously she doesn’t deserve to be shot, but she’s as racist as they come

She has hardly suggested that an MP should be murdered on the basis of their race, has she?

2 Likes

Absolutely, she has not.
And I didn’t imply that she had.
But a racist is a racist.

Well you seemed to draw equivalence to it. Is that just the Diane Abbott factor, because she seems to be held to a standard of scrutiny that applies to no other politician.

1 Like

How did you manage to deduce that “Obviously she doesn’t deserve to be shot” is an equivalence of she deseves to be shot?

This is a man who once went on TV to defend Dominic Cumming driving to Barnard Castle to ‘test his eyesight’ and end up laughing such was the absurdity of the situation he found himself in.

You seemed to be drawing an equivalence to something she said in a tweet 12 years ago in which she claimed that white people play “divide and rule” (for which she apologised at the time) with a donor saying that she should be shot (which the Tory party have been falling over themselves not to fully condemn). It’s not even in the same ballpark.

I would have thought saying that MPs should not be shot is actually a default position.

No, I didn’t.

He’s a nasty vile and seemingly aggressive racist who made an outrageous comment about someone being shot.
She’s just a run of the mill racist.

So what if it was 12 years ago and she apologised.

No Islamophobia problem in the Conservative Party…

Black activists and campaign will often talk about ‘white people’ in the course of that work.

In the context of the various injustices that have been perpetuated against black people by white people through history, I think we should and can take that kind of generalisation on the chin.

Diane Abbot, while I have a wide range of criticisms of her as an MP, isn’t racist, and neither is any other campaigner on racism who use the term ‘white people’ when talking about social injustice.

Your post fell apart when you omitted “In my opinion”

So Zionism?

1 Like

Well why even bother to bring it up? And if you think she is a run of the mill racist, have you even dissected every speech, pamphlet, Hansard and interview that she has given over the last 20 years and given a balanced view of her comments. Or are you basing it on the selected out of context quotes highlighted by people who spend every hour of every day looking for things to abuse her with.

If you want to criticise Abbott for her views or something that she has said then that’s fine. I’m not overly keen on some of her ideas either. But she has consistently been one of the most abused MPs out there. The level is actually staggering. I don’t think you are basing your views on any prejudice of your own but much of what appears about her is coming from some pretty unpleasant people. Amnesty did a report back in 2017 and she receives an order of magnitude more abuse than any other woman MP. In fact it was so much that they had to exclude her from their overall assessment.

3 Likes

Wasn’t she suspended from her own party for expressing borderline racist or antisemetic views?

I simply highlighted that she has form for expressing views that can be construed as racist.
Pointing out that she is frequently abused as some sort of equivalence for her comments being acceptable isn’t really on.

Let’s just leave it here.

Worth noting he didn’t stop at Diane Abbott

1 Like

The thing with people like that is that they might genuinely think that they’re not racist, just because they’re equal opportunists with handing out remarks like that. They just don’t see the consequences of their words, think that their words are harmless, or are of the “sticks and stones” variety.

2 Likes

What have you done with Kate? Come on, where are you hiding her?

Srsly, you Brits had better not look down your noses at us uncouth colonials ever again…

1 Like

‘Wanker!’

lol

4 Likes

Imaging the outrage if the roles were reversed