UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

He isn’t the only one. We also have this guy
Ed_Miliband_bacon_sandwich

Apparently the BBC is “left wing” according to some.

I Guess Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

1 Like

I agree with you, except she looked and sounded so condescending about it.

1 Like

Looking like a Hag and “delicately” sneering, is her regular look, though :wink:

1 Like

She can’t change her physical appearance, but she could certainly do something about her patronising attitude.

6 Likes

That’s very true and I concede I was cruel regarding her facial shape. Unnecessary comment from me, I suppose.
But to be fair, Kuessenberg is uppity and condecending towards most everyone, from what I have seen. That tone is not reserved only for Labour as far as I can remember from hearing her talk in the past. To be honest, I’ve always thought of her more as a typical smart-ass British journalist. A bit venemous, but within the confines of acceptable behaviour. I often find most British journos who want to be seen as hard hitting talk much like her tbh. But she has obviously clear bias, but many do.

2 Likes

This amused me no end.

I need help…

https://twitter.com/Mattladd1/status/1787913588268556641?t=4_eCwttAn78Pjlzsu2hG1Q&s=19

I think the point she would never speak about a Tory politician like that.

I guess I am missing the UK partisan dynamic, I generally associate that smug, condescending superiority with journalists.

2 Likes

Please forgive my rude exaggeration, Kuenssberg !
The mad Australian found a proper hag in the wild of the rainforests, in that very lethal land down under.

Yeah, I didn’t think it was bad at all, just a bit of a silly topic. Norwegian tabloid journos might not be as smug, but they have far silliers takes at times than pointing out that it’s a strategy to go to lower league games. And I doubt she is lying about her sources telling her that and it’s also likelty that it is indeed some sort of working class strategy from Starmer, so I don’t get it really. I thought her point was rather interesting, if delevered in a very smug Kuessenberg way. But I see nothing wrong.

Again, the issue is not what she said. The problem is that she would not speak about a Tory politician in that way.

She has proved over and over again that she cannot put to one side her party affiliation while doing her job. I have to more politically impartial in my job than her, and I’m nowhere near as important.

1 Like

You are probably quite correct and fair enough.

Anyway, have a good night, all :slight_smile:

Sorry it’s the subtleties of how she talks about different politicians.

As a contrast watch this

https://x.com/mockgoose/status/1174394692693299200

It’s not so much the content, but when we have had 15 years of staged photoshoots. Be it. Johnson playing rugby, driving a JCB digger and going through boxes or filling up a car with petrol.

2 Likes

See, that’s far more of a problem. Mutual contempt between journalists and politicians is par for the course, that sort of sloppy drunk sycophancy is something else entirely.

3 Likes

That’s entirely it, although she also refuses to ask awkward questions of government politicians.

Thinking again about her sneering at Starmer going to football grounds. Many Tory MPs have pretended to support a football team and couldn’t even keep their story straight. David Cameron famously said he supported West Ham when he had previously stated he was an Aston Villa fan. They have similar kits so it’s an easy mistake to make for a nincompoop.

In truth, these Tory MPs aren’t football fans. There is nothing wrong with that but they are pretending that they are “a man of the people” rather than someone who went to an elite private school that only played Rugby.

I think the last Conservative leader who actually was a football fan was Michael Howard, who is a lifelong Liverpool fan. I don’t think they ever mentioned that because it is divisive. It might go down well on half of Merseyside but is likely to be off-putting in London, Manchester, Birmingham or anywhere else.

As for Starmer, he is a football fan and it is well known that her supports Arsenal. Again, that is divisive and hence he is staying to lower league grounds where he can identify with football fans without putting off supporters of Spurs, Chelsea or whoever.

I think what I dislike about Kuenssberg sneering is that this is part of an ongoing campaign to smear Starmer as being part of the establishment elite compared to the happy man-in.the.street types like Cameron and Johnson. Clearly, Starmer is establishment now as he was a senior lawyer, but he does come from a very working class background, unlike the Tories who were from money and sent to what is widely recognised as a finishing school for the British elite.

Is this journalism? Is this in the public interest? Clearly not. It’s quite obviously pushing a party political line.

6 Likes

Good job my son and I aren’t in politics, should see us eating a salad. :see_no_evil: :rofl:

Pulling a face when eating a salad is perfectly normal, but not a bacon sarnie

I didn’t mention bacon sarnies as that’s far to grotesque to see me eating one even for aussies. :crazy_face:

Politically it might now be impartial, ish. 5 live certainly veers widely both ways. However their non-news content is frighteningly to the left. Dr Who sends their regards.